The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What would be the consequences of a Yellowstone Park eruption?  (Read 48669 times)

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What would be the consequences of a Yellowstone Park eruption?
« Reply #25 on: 13/11/2008 17:57:52 »
TIMBER!!!
(Run for your lives) ::)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the buried caldera in the Modoc Plateau dated around 10 to 12 million years? 
Basalts are Pliocene, if my memory hasn't completely failed me- which means they are more correlative to Snake River Plain basalts than to Columbia River basalts.

Either way, bimodal volcanism reeks of extensional tectonics.  Will get around to reading articles you cited when time allows.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13/11/2008 20:37:23 »
Nope, the Modoc Caldera is older - early Miocene for both the basal basalts (hi resistivity zones) and the sediments - according to the bugs from the sediments interbedded with basalts... It fits well with the age of the Yellowstone hotspot...

And YES - extensional tectonics - it REEKS of this!

I was about to chastise you on how WRONG you are in implying such a small basin and range - placing such a limited area as the area of the Basin and Range just between the two arrows. This is just the northern limit of the Basin and Range. The Basin and Range extends all the way into northern Mexico! Parallel ridges in Arizona, Walker Lane Fault Zone, all of Nevada.. all of this is the modern expression of the extensional tectonic zone. It is everything from the Colorado Plateau to the Coastal ranges of California. The San Joaquin Valley is extensional tectonics. and on the east the Rio Grande Rift is extensional Tectonics. It is a HUGE area!

The articles were just to sell our company's consulting business but do have scientific value.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2008 02:32:00 by JimBob »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20/11/2008 23:47:50 »
I was about to chastise you on how WRONG you are in implying such a small basin and range - placing such a limited area as the area of the Basin and Range just between the two arrows. This is just the northern limit of the Basin and Range. The Basin and Range extends all the way into northern Mexico! Parallel ridges in Arizona, Walker Lane Fault Zone, all of Nevada.. all of this is the modern expression of the extensional tectonic zone. It is everything from the Colorado Plateau to the Coastal ranges of California. The San Joaquin Valley is extensional tectonics. and on the east the Rio Grande Rift is extensional Tectonics. It is a HUGE area!

psst- JimBob, I was trying to keep the map simple enough for even you to understand.  But rest assured that I would never question your capabilities on the forum

Interesting recent article on Modoc basalts...
http://www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/busby/Manuscript_pdfs/Garrison_et_al_2008.pdf

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22/11/2008 04:08:03 »
Dang nabit! Knew we should have published or done a poster session on it 20 years ago!!!! Now there is proof!

*#$!!)^#)#_ _#@^!_@_#+ =&^&^& 2565468u&*ik" ljgfdf( b(*&y az'jkkdf ol
b'/;,dfg[oqj4q4jt
_____
^
|
hiatus
|
V

Please, I'm OK, I was just overcome there for a second. Thank you for the brandy, butler.

Offline courtney3697

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04/01/2009 19:01:57 »
how long after an eruption there would I have here in PA ? Basically if it erupted tomorrow at 8 am would I have til 3 to get on a plane and go or???

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05/01/2009 00:29:30 »
Ash would travel no faster than the winds/weather aloft, so I'm guessing 18 to 24 hours??  But I wouldn't make your reservations just yet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 05/01/2009 00:29:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length