The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I use calorimetry to determine specific heat and atomic mass?  (Read 10951 times)

Offline PAH777

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello all, I remember posting things on this site many years ago and then if just faded away from my daily life.  Although, right now i am in the midst of many science courses and I seem to be stuck.  If any of you will help me with this problem I would greatly appriciate it.  Thanks in advace :)

a metal weighing 15.08g at 81.2C is placed in a calorimeter containing 25ml of water at 24.8C. the final temp. is 29.1C. What is the metal's specific heat and approxomate atomic mass?

Mod edit - Formatted the subject as a question - please do this to help keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate - thanks
« Last Edit: 31/10/2008 11:50:32 by BenV »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The assumptions are that the energy gained by the water is equal to the energy lost by the metal, (i.e. no heat lost to the environment), and that at the finish the metal and water have the same temperature (29.1oC).

Temperature of the 25 grams of water has risen by 4.3oC, the specific heat capacity of water is 4.1813* joules per gram per oC.

Temperature of the 15.08 grams of metal has fallen by 52.1oC ...

Once you have calculated the specific heat capacity of the metal its molar mass can be estimated using the Dulong-petit law.

(* at 25oC)
« Last Edit: 31/10/2008 12:03:41 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums