The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Some Text Messages Take Ages To Be Delivered ?  (Read 13903 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
 ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why Do Some Text Messages Take Ages To Be Delivered ?
« Reply #1 on: 31/10/2008 22:31:12 »
I do know what you mean....I have had that happen at times....   

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2008 04:11:23 »
The pigeon gets lost.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2008 11:10:48 »
Yes, yes, lost pigeons indeed !  ;)

well, this lot are certainly delivering some sort of message in a very direct way !

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2008 11:57:33 »
Occasionally -such as on New Year's eve- we are told that the network is just congested, resulting in delays.

Another cause is if the recipient's phone cannot take the message for some reason, perhaps due to being out-of-signal (or if the inbox is full). I understand that in such cases the network attempts a second delivery a minute or so later, then several miniutes later, with ever-increasing time gaps. If the phone has been lacking signal for a while, it can then take a while longer before the network makes its next attempt.
(I have heard this second-hand, and while it makes sense - it's not original).

You could test it by having a phone with a full inbox, sending it one more message, then noting each time it tries to receive the message (and fails) - although conceivably the network might use a different resend algorithm in this case compared to a lack of signal...?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2008 15:22:41 »
Yes, yes, lost pigeons indeed !  ;)

well, this lot are certainly delivering some sort of message in a very direct way !

OMG!!! 

How horrible! 

This is exactly why I'm so terrified of birds!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2008 11:19:32 »
When ever I send a text message and not necessarily around Christmas hols, they do take ages. It's a ********* pain and
if it was an urgent one then it could be a disaster. IMO.

But the amount of cyber space bytes (I think) might be a cause for the slowness in delivery. Not where we all live.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/11/2008 14:26:10 »
Thank Ewe all for your kind responses. Thank ewe too Techmind for the detail too.

Can someone explain the actual route a text message takes ?..and what happens to it if the recipients phone is switched off ?

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2008 00:49:54 »
"The Short Message Service - Point to Point (SMS-PP) is defined in GSM recommendation 03.40.[2] GSM 03.41 defines the Short Message Service - Cell Broadcast (SMS-CB) which allows messages (advertising, public information, etc.) to be broadcast to all mobile users in a specified geographical area.[16] Messages are sent to a Short Message Service Centre (SMSC) which provides a store-and-forward mechanism. It attempts to send messages to their recipients. If a recipient is not reachable, the SMSC queues the message for later retry.[17] Some SMSCs also provide a "forward and forget" option where transmission is tried only once. Both Mobile Terminated (MT), for messages sent to a mobile handset, and Mobile Originating (MO), for those that are sent from the mobile handset, operations are supported. Message delivery is best effort, so there are no guarantees that a message will actually be delivered to its recipient and delay or complete loss of a message is not uncommon, particularly when sending between networks. Users may choose to request delivery reports (simply add *0# or *N# to the beginning of your text message), which can provide positive confirmation that the message has reached the intended recipient."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2008 00:49:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length