The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I improve my mile time?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
How can I improve my mile time?
« on: 01/11/2008 00:42:26 »
This year was the first time that I was able to run 7 miles without stopping, I could of kept going, but I didn't cuz I was at home. But, my mile time is still what it was last track season. And by the end of it I'm POOPED. Same with my 800 and my 400 meter. What can I do to improve them. I'm hoping to beat the school record in the mile and 800 this year.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2008 20:30:07 »
I'm a long distance runner in general, but I use a bit of speed training too.  I take it you're trying to improve your times on 1 mile or less?  In that case, you probably want to focus on speed work.  This will help improve your speed in short distances, but not help you much with longer, endurance races.  The most useful kind of speed work for short distances is probably intervals or repetitions.  To do these, warm up a bit, then accelerate up to your current 5K race pace and continue running there for 90 seconds to 4 minutes.  Then, jog for a bit until your heart rate comes back down a bit (maybe about half the time you spent at a fast pace--just enough rest so you can repeat the fast interval at the same pacing), and repeat.  The book I have suggests not spending more than 20 minutes at your fast pace during the whole workout.  You can also run distances (400, 600, 800 or 1600 meters at high speed, followed by a jog is common, for example). 

There's also strideouts, which are supposed to help your running form and efficiency.  Take a longer run, and somewhere in the middle do a series of 100-meter sprints.  Accelerate from your long run pace up to a sprint over the course of the 100 meters while focusing on keeping a relaxed form. 

These speed workouts should be pretty intense, so just make sure you have enough time to recover in between them.  In general, its recommended not to do more than 3 intense workouts per week.  For the rest of your longer runs, try to keep a nice easy pace so that you're not too pooped to do your intense workouts. 

There's more details on speed workouts here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/103.shtml

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 28/11/2008 03:41:48 »
Thanks for the Info.
I just ran 12 miles today, you'd think I'd have a good mile time.. I hope its okay. But i'll start doing some of that when it gets close to track season. thanks. i'm just gonna keep in shape unti then

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 28/11/2008 03:41:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums