The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Glyco and disease  (Read 10375 times)

Offline stormchaser807

• First timers
    • View Profile
Glyco and disease
« on: 22/02/2005 05:03:40 »
Hey,
I ve been trying to figure out if there is anything to Glyconutrients. My wife has Lupus and I ve read where the glycoNutrient ,Mannos is a key ingredient in helping the communication between cells. I ve read testimonies from people who are actually doing a great deal better because of Glyconutrients.

I believe in researching everythng before using. If the FDA can allow drugs like Vioxx and other harmful drugs on the market then I can't trust them. They also tried to say that ,"Colloidal silver" has no benefits what so ever and now they allow Curad to make a silver band aid!!!!! Bunch of theives and murderers!
Colloidal silver is the best antibiotic I know from experience. Great stuff.

Glyconutrients,is it what they say it is??

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
Re: Glyco and disease
« Reply #1 on: 22/02/2005 05:23:38 »
this subject has been quite thoughroughly discussed in the thread "my life and stem cells" in "just chat"

don't get too down on the FDA.  The media likes to make a huge story out of a small situation.  With any drug you must outway the bennefits with the risks.  There are many peopl who have benefited greatly from the so called "bad drugs" that were FDA approved, many more than were harmed by them.  just remember that the word "pharmeceutical" comes from the greek root "pharmacon" meaning poison.

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #2 on: 22/02/2005 11:30:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by stormchaser807

Hey,
I ve been trying to figure out if there is anything to Glyconutrients. My wife has Lupus and I ve read where the glycoNutrient ,Mannos is a key ingredient in helping the communication between cells. I ve read testimonies from people who are actually doing a great deal better because of Glyconutrients.

I believe in researching everythng before using. If the FDA can allow drugs like Vioxx and other harmful drugs on the market then I can't trust them. They also tried to say that ,"Colloidal silver" has no benefits what so ever and now they allow Curad to make a silver band aid!!!!! Bunch of theives and murderers!

Yeah, we covered this pretty thoroughly in the thread that Mayo mentioned.  The basic summary was that there is no evidence, other than unverified testimonials on the vendor's site, that glyconutrients are effective in treating or curing any disease.  Mannose is present in quite a few foods you can eat and can be synthesized from glucose via the pentose phosphate pathway.  In fact, any sugar your body needs can be synthesized from what you eat.  As for glycoproteins, you will digest them into component amino acids before they find their way into any cells that might need them.  (this is why diabetics can't just take an insulin pill)  

As for colloidal silver, it may be an effective topical anti-microbial agent but people were taking pills of the stuff hoping that it would magically prevent them from ever getting bacterial infections and that's what the FDA had a problem with.  There's a pretty amusing story about a Montana state Senator who turned blue/gray from taking too many colloidal silver supplements.  (it was integrated into metalloproteins in his epidermis if I remember correctly)  

http://www.kiwinews.co.nz/cgi-bin/editor/print.pl?article=3807

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline mannamom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/03/2005 05:42:06 »
quote:

Hey,

Offline mannamom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/03/2005 05:45:14 »
Glyconutrients are real! My family has had HUGE success with their use! you are welcome to e-mail me with questions!  Rene.TextText

quote:

Hey,

Offline goldhunter

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/08/2005 04:20:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by mannamom

Glyconutrients are real! My family has had HUGE success with their use! you are welcome to e-mail me with questions!  Rene.TextText

quote:

Hey,

Offline inga

• View Profile
    • http://poison-free-home.info/
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/2005 04:57:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by mannamom

"Glyconutrients" may be "real," but they aren't found in Ambrotose.

My problem with "glyconutrients" is that what Mannatech advertises -- the healing power of "essential sugars" and what's actually in their star product, Ambrotose, are two very different things. As has been pointed out in other threads Ambrotose contains only two of the simple/essential sugars (glucose and glucosamine) praised on their newbielink:http://www.glycoscience.com [nonactive] site. The other ingredients are polysaccharides which the body doesn't recognize as sugars.

On the other hand, I believe that the chief ingredients, Arabinogalactan and Manapol do have immune-enhancing qualities. But calling them "essential sugars" or "glyconutrients" is spin doctoring to make it appear that Mannatech is on the cutting edge of current science when, in fact, these ingredients are standard nutritional ingredients used by many other companies. They can be purchased individually online, along with the gum ghatti, gum tragacanth and rice starch which are also in Ambrotose.

Furthermore, I believe there are a number of products readily available on various parts of the globe which have anti-carcinogenic and other healing effects on the body. (Besidess Manapol and Arabinogalactin, try a search on cucurmin, lutein, flavonoids, proanthocyanidin, for starters.)

What I've also seen is that a simple change in lifestyle has brought about dramatic changes in a very short period of time -- changes greater and more rapid than possible with the drugs of medical science, as admitted by my physician niece. The lifestyle changes include avoiding ingesting non-foods such alcohol, tobacco, coffee, soft drinks as well as all "junk foods" and eating a moderate (no over-eating) plant-based diet rich in deep-colored fruit and vegetables. Changes include exercising daily, drinking lots of water, getting plenty of rest and sunshine while eliminating stress by exercising faith in God (trust Him for what you cannot control).

Of course, making these lifestyle changes and adding natural supplements rich in flavonoids and other immune-enhancing substances is likely to speed up the healing process.

The ingredients in Ambrotose do help the body heal itself -- whether they are in Ambrotose or in products by other companies. They just are not "glyconutrients," no matter how often the words are repeated.

I'm wary and weary of a company that specializes in so much spin doctoring!
« Last Edit: 21/09/2005 00:24:48 by inga »

Offline mannamom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/10/2005 15:33:41 »
Igna,
With respect..here. My son was on a downward spiral...he is now fine...no "spin doctoring" there! I agree that one needs to change lifestyle...just like a toxic free home...but that alone would not have allowed my sons body to heal!

Rene

Offline steve477

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/10/2005 23:37:24 »
Igna,
I agree with rene, one of my family members would not be leading a normal life if not for ambrotose, and i have also a friend making great progress on it. As im aware they have a patent which allows them to mix the sugars.

Steve

Offline Greg Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/01/2006 01:19:51 »
"this subject has been quite thoughroughly discussed in the thread "my life and stem cells" in 'just chat'"...

I'll be darned if I can locate this thread. Is it still there? Am I just blind?

Thanks,

Greg

Offline equineluvr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2006 19:25:24 »
Well I searched all ten pages of "Chat" but didn't see that thread....

Does anyone know the title of it, or can you provide a link? Thanks.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #11 on: 20/03/2006 23:39:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by equineluvr

Well I searched all ten pages of "Chat" but didn't see that thread....

Does anyone know the title of it, or can you provide a link? Thanks.

10 Pages of chat but theirs only seven.:)

Its possible it has been deleted.[:0] i have recently removed a number of posts from the chat section in an attempt to speed up the response of the forum which was grinding to a halt due to the large number of posts stored on the database.[:I]

I don't remember it and nothing of significance was deleted, however it is possible that I made an error and deleted something which i shouldn't have due to the large number of posts which i had to go through . Unfortunately theirs no way of retrieving a deleted post,  if i have i apologize.

Can i direct you above to Ylides 3rd post in this thread where he summarises the missing ,lost or deleted [:I]post

its a Good thing i'm not a brain surgeon.

PS I feel so guilty now.

MICHAEL

« Last Edit: 21/03/2006 00:54:54 by ukmicky »

Offline Greg Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/03/2006 23:35:11 »
Thanks for the response, Michael. I'll stop looking for it. Please don't feel too guilty.;)

Greg

P.S. This article probably comes close to the conclusions reached in the missing thread:

newbielink:http://wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsGlyconutrients.php [nonactive]

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #13 on: 22/03/2006 00:56:29 »
Cheers greg

Message to all you kids out their, sometimes its good to own up when you do something wrong ;):)

Michael

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 22/03/2006 00:56:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums