The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Light Sticks...how do they work eh ?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Light Sticks...how do they work eh ?
« on: 22/02/2005 16:21:55 »
Hello,

My name is Neil,:)

I recently went to see a show and everybody got all sentimental and lushy at the end and we all had a massive hugfest and waved those lightsticks about.

What's going on in the light stick thing ?..is it toxic ?....does putting them in the freezer make them last longer ?...is there a way to regenerate said sticks of luminescent lovliness ?

Brighten up my dull day by dazzling me with your incandesent answers.

Ta:)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 24/02/2005 08:30:51 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Re: Light Sticks...how do they work eh ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2005 20:32:07 »
...I just want to thank you all for the plethora of responses to this query....when I get a chance i hope to read them all and become more learned to boot !!.........

Obviously I've finally stumped you all eh ?...my own thoughts is that there is a firefly milking farm somewhere and the fireflys are milked for their luminescent chemicals and these are what fill the lightsticks....I'm right aren't I ?

Offline DrPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2005 20:59:04 »
Chemiluminescence

There is more than one recipe for a lightstick, a common commercial lightstick uses a solution of hydrogen peroxide that is kept separate from a solution of a phenyl oxalate ester together with a fluorescent dye. The color of the fluorescent dye is what determines the resulting color of the lightstick when the chemical solutions are mixed. The basic premise of the reaction is that the reaction between the two chemicals releases enough energy to excite the electrons in the fluorescent dye. This causes the electrons to jump to a higher energy level and then fall back down and release light.

Specifically, the chemical reaction works like this: The hydrogen peroxide oxidizes the phenyl oxalate ester, to form phenol and an unstable peroxyacid ester. The unstable peroxyacid ester decomposes, resulting in phenol and a cyclic peroxy compound. The cyclic peroxy compound decomposes to carbon dioxide. This decomposition reaction releases the energy that excites the dye.

ref: http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa040902a.htm

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/2005 21:08:24 »
I know ants milk aphids and mealybugs, so I'm with Neil here. Sounds better, anyway. :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/03/2005 23:34:47 »
Thank you Dr Phil.....excellent stuff with a great link too *sigh* the beauty of the way this website works brings tears to my eyes...I'm welling up here *sniff*...me needs a hug !!

...and thanks Chimera.....I think a firefly milking farm is definitely the way to go....cheers

Offline ATOM_SPLITTER

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/10/2005 04:44:55 »
I don't know the technics of it just that it comes from a chemical reaction and yes some lightstics are toxic the ones that glow brighter and longer are toxic also putting it in the freezer will have an impact on it put after a second time or mutiple time will have little or no impact after mutiple times

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/10/2005 05:06:59 »
Why thank you Atom Splitter.

Your post is appreciated and welcome to the site,

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Equalizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/11/2005 19:16:51 »
I had a run in with a glow stick, thought it would be fun to split one in half and try and make a big stick, when i cut it the chemicals reacted and went flourescent blue, coated all my furniture in it and started to dissolve my wallpaper, have lightsticks got acids in them! please reply im wondering.

I Know A Good Experiment:
mix, H2O and H2O and you get H2O. :)

Offline Equalizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/11/2005 19:18:07 »
i also got some in my mouth and eyes didnt taste too good, stings your eyes aswell.

I Know A Good Experiment:
mix, H2O and H2O and you get well just H2O. :)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: 14/11/2005 09:13:24 »
It does have hydrogen peroxide in it - the stuff you use to bleach hair, which may be doing the bad things to eyes and wallpaper. The dyes in them also stain really badly - we still have a skeleton with flourescent yellow stains all over it...

Offline jace

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15/09/2006 17:37:30 »
how could you make one

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 15/09/2006 17:37:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums