The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do some people doubt the existence of PTSD?  (Read 5623 times)

Bryan

Why do some people doubt the existence of PTSD?
« on: 03/11/2008 22:33:53 »
Bryan asked the Naked Scientists:

Why is it difficult to get people to accept that PTSD exists until they see the effect of it?

What do you think?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2008 10:44:05 »
I don't think it's so much that people won't accept that it exists, more that it's a lot of fuss over nothing. Before the days when you had to have therapy for stubbing your toe or having a bad hair day, people would be told to "Pull yourself together". Nowadays, however, we are becoming too reliant on therapy and forgetting how to face situations and handle them ourselves.

lyner

« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2008 11:16:10 »
more that it's a lot of fuss over nothing.
Not a very sensitive attitude, DrB - shame on you.
(That is a disinterested comment, on my part; Neither I nor my loved ones have ever suffered in this way.)

It seems to me that PTSD is not acknowledged because it carries with it the risk of litigation and someone's liability for the cause. If you break your ankle on a kerbstone, the Council are clearly to blame and they may well have to pay up. You can't argue against the existence of the broken ankle as an injury. But, when someone's life is upset as the result of a harrowing experience, it's not so clear cut.
Plus, of course, there will be legions of people who will take the mick and discredit the whole thing.
It's the blame culture turning round and biting us.
« Last Edit: 05/11/2008 11:18:01 by sophiecentaur »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2008 12:08:52 »
SC - I was referring to how most people perceive PTSD. It was not necessarily my opinion; although I do think that people run for therapy at the slightest excuse.
« Last Edit: 05/11/2008 12:11:15 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #4 on: 05/11/2008 19:55:31 »
I think the problem is that its a very new idea/discovery and as such take a while to understand. I think M.E. (chronic fatigue syndrome) took years before it became accepted and some still doubt that its a real condition.

If you break your ankle on a kerbstone, the Council are clearly to blame and they may well have to pay up. You can't argue against the existence of the broken ankle as an injury.

The Council will only be to blame if the kerb stone is proven to be faulty in any way and that it was the fault that caused the accident.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/11/2008 20:15:35 »
MadMan - I think 1 of the problems with ME was that it was given the name Yuppie Flu. That gave the wrong idea right from the start and made it hard for people to take seriously.

lyner

« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2008 21:06:47 »
It used to be Lack of Moral Fibre - in the good old days.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 06/11/2008 12:00:24 »

It seems to me that PTSD is not acknowledged because it carries with it the risk of litigation...

It's the blame culture turning round and biting us.

This first statement I think is true in the genuine cases such as members of the armed forces who have seen their comrades mutilated in front of their eyes, or suffered horrific physical or mental wounds themselves. It was considered 'desertion from the line' in WW1 and even WW2. It took a long time for the authorities to recognise 'Shell Shock' as a mental wound, not cowardice.

As for this second statement, I again agree. Too many people are too willing to blame someone for their slight misfortune or own carelessness. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again. (Hmm, sounds familiar!)

The ‘nanny state’ can be blamed for some of this. I cringe when I hear that therapists have been made available for people who were on a train in south London when a train in north London derailed!!!??? These people need therapy alright, and I have just the thing; a size 9 steel toe cap boot. GET ON WITH IT YOU GREAT WHIMP!!!

There is also the money factor: “I stubbed my toe on a raised paving slab, give me £1000.00” I’d give ‘em something alright, yep, my size 9’s should fit the bill here too.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/11/2008 13:31:34 »
I cringe when I hear that therapists have been made available for people who were on a train in south London when a train in north London derailed!!!???

How's this then... A 16yo lad was killed in a car crash near here a while back. Kids at the primary school his brother goes to have been offered therapy.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #9 on: 06/11/2008 13:40:26 »
Ludicrous Doc, absolutely ludicrous.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 06/11/2008 13:40:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums