The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dark Matter Galaxies  (Read 11719 times)

Offline chimera

• View Profile
Re: Dark Matter Galaxies
« Reply #25 on: 10/05/2005 15:54:18 »
Spot on as usual IMO, gsmollin. My thoughts exactly. Time's inherent to locale.

The living are the dead on holiday.  -- Maurice de Maeterlinck (1862-1949)

Offline Sandwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14/05/2005 12:33:48 »
Dark Energy/Matter is somewhere between a noun and a verb, it is trying to name the action/result of processes that we can see, but cannot fathom the carrier of, just like gravity[}:)]

Mmmmm - Dark Energy/Matter (E=mc^2 therefore c^2=E/m)

Its Dark Light^2:D
« Last Edit: 14/05/2005 12:43:55 by Sandwalker »

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15/05/2005 09:41:37 »
As I said in another thread, only half-jokingly, gravity and vacuum expansion might well turn out to be two faces of one and the same coin. Remember all primordial forces probably interconnect, and although I'm not proposing something along the lines of if-you-only-push-here-it-bulges-there, other things have been found that do tend to be that simple, which is one semi-good reason for overlooking it in the first place. :)

« Last Edit: 15/05/2005 09:42:31 by chimera »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17/05/2005 14:35:23 »
Not being a physicist I have no firm beliefs 1 way or another on dark matter/energy. I'm too much of a layman to be able to understand the raw data & scientific papers & form an opinion. I am, however, surprised that cosmic strings haven't yet reared their ugly head in this thread (strings - thread.. no pun intended).
Now, I may have got this wrong but I thought there was a theory that there were "cracks" in space where these massive strings lurked: crossing thousands, or millions, of light years & that these could be the seeds of galaxy formation.
Also, there is, I believe, a train of thought that gravity is trans-dimensional & its source is locked away in some dimension other than those we can percieve. If that's the case, could not the phenomenon referred to as dark matter be the result of something - particles or energy - being locked up in another dimension and only becoming apparent by its gravitational effects? If so, surely there will never be any empiric evidence for its existence & it will forever continue to exist as no more than a theoretical concept.

It wasn't me - a big boy did it & ran away

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17/05/2005 20:55:17 »
Personally not too taken with strings, especially not with Calabi-Yau manifolds... think our understanding of QCD and QM is still far from complete. We're still missing an essential thing or two in that department, and that stuff has been around for 40 years, and has some amazing insights that have proven right time after time.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #29 on: 17/05/2005 20:55:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums