The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Champagne Bubbles Emanate From The Bottom Of The Glass ?  (Read 23749 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
POP !!...Ppfffffffffffffisssssssttt !!

Mind that cork !!

As a sheepy, I of course imbibe Champagne !..I drink it all the time !...Whilst Peregrinesmerelda (My chauffer sheepy wench) drives, I get frazzled on bubbly !!**

look, here are two glasses that I am about to enjoy !

Do ewe notice that the bubbles seem to emanate from the bottom of the glass ?..why's that then ?...why not from all over the place like peasants coke and lemonade  ?

I don't know !...but I'd like to think that when I sober up in a week or two...there may be an answer !!

Cheers *hic*

Ewe ish my beshtest friend *hic*

mwah mwah mwah

neil
Over The Limit & Banned From Driving
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note to self: Ewe know ewe don't drink ?...why ewe say ewe drink ?
Note to self re:above Note to self: I needed to ask kwestion, I figure the alcys may be more receptive if they thought I was part of the alcy brigade !
« Last Edit: 05/11/2008 01:35:55 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I think somewhere not too long ago someone asked this question..? But I am not positive who.. and I don't remember the answer!... So we need another answer !LOL...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I think somewhere not too long ago someone asked this question..? But I am not positive who.. and I don't remember the answer!... So we need another answer !LOL...

Thank ewe Karen .

This is in fact question 3 in a series of 124 Champagne related questions asked by yours truly !

The last one I asked, referred to how the bubbles all came from the same spot , even when it was stirred....though, as a sheepy, I am capable of making a mistake by employing staff who may not be paying attention and advising me when I have duplicated a question of my own or where in fact someone has asked an identical question.
If so, then I apologise and the entire workforce will be berated.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
The formation of the bubbles is due to the imperfections in the glass. These are nucleation sites and allow the gasses in champagne to form on the rough parts of the glass rather than the smooth parts. I suspect that because the glass is made in two parts (the bowl and the stem) then joined, there are more imperfections at the join ie the base of the glass, and therefore this is where most of the nucleation sites are, and hence more bubbles can form here.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
The formation of the bubbles is due to the imperfections in the glass. These are nucleation sites and allow the gasses in champagne to form on the rough parts of the glass rather than the smooth parts. I suspect that because the glass is made in two parts (the bowl and the stem) then joined, there are more imperfections at the join ie the base of the glass, and therefore this is where most of the nucleation sites are, and hence more bubbles can form here.

I see !!Thank ewe dentstudent !...this is fantastic !.. Ewe are klevur !

...Do you think then if I poured coke into a champagne flute that the bubbles would also come from the bottom part of the glass ?..this is very interesting and I am most grateful for your wise rationale !

Go the the top of the glass...class !!  ;D

Cheers

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile

...Do you think then if I poured coke into a champagne flute that the bubbles would also come from the bottom part of the glass

I guess that the amount of bubbling would be in proportion to the amount of gas that is in solution, so if there is more CO2 in coke (the drink!) than in champagne, then it would seem reasonable to expect more bubbles. Perhaps you could have a little experiment - if you put sugar or salt into the glass before you put the drink in, as there are more nucleation sites, there should be more bubbles too....maybe see what happens if you wet the inside of the glass, then dust salt on the inside so it's covered, and them see what happens! You might want to do it over a sink.

(phnar)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"bubbles seem to emanate from the bottom of the glass ?..why's that then ?..."
It would be silly if they started at the top.

Offline andy84

• First timers
    • View Profile
Fantastic! I love the internet... i was having breakfast this morning at a bar and noticed this phenomena, i know why they rise obviously, but why did they all seem to come from one point... i have been wondering this all day and a well worded google search landed me here.

Thankyou! I will grace your forum with my presence henceforth... :)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I would like to know what happens if you pass a piece of metal (little spoon, knife, else) in the inside walls of the glass before pouring champagne in it. Can you make this little experiment? (I don't drink champagne or similar, excepting at new year's eve)
« Last Edit: 24/10/2010 13:49:11 by lightarrow »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
]LightArrow - describe in more detail what you want to be done and what to watch - and I will try and remember to do it, cos I drink it at every available opportunity  :P

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why Do Champagne Bubbles Emanate From The Bottom Of The Glass ?
« Reply #10 on: 25/10/2010 13:09:05 »
]LightArrow - describe in more detail what you want to be done and what to watch - and I will try and remember to do it, cos I drink it at every available opportunity  :P
Simply making micro-scratches on the glass wall with a hard material.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/10/2010 16:02:28 »
Have you seen the new lager glasses with nucleation grid on the bottom.  I saw a huge box outside a pub with "stella nucleation" printed on it -  this sound like some off the wall theory about stars from the new theories part of the forum rather than a box for new pint glasses.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26/10/2010 16:28:17 »
Have you seen the new lager glasses with nucleation grid on the bottom.  I saw a huge box outside a pub with "stella nucleation" printed on it -  this sound like some off the wall theory about stars from the new theories part of the forum rather than a box for new pint glasses.

No, haven't seen'em. Any image?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/10/2010 16:34:49 »
Will take a photo in about an hour and a half!  Might be a bit blurred if I don't remember to do it on the first round! 

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26/10/2010 17:39:33 »
I've noticed some threads just never seem to die - particularly those that involve a lot of empirical study in the nearest pub  :D

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27/10/2010 10:39:56 »
During an evening of heavy scientific research I managed to come up with this vital evidence of the use of artificial nucleation points in pint glasses (this one is a Becks / Vier glass) 

If I can get it uploaded I will post a mini-video of the grid in action

Matthew

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27/10/2010 21:28:57 »
Do you think they sandblast the grid on to the glass?

BTW, it looks like a (very small) silicon wafer before it's diced into individual chips. Wonder if that was intentional.

Here's one I just happened to have laying around.

« Last Edit: 27/10/2010 21:37:57 by Geezer »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28/10/2010 22:09:54 »
What's the diameter of that wafer - it's beautiful.  I use hard disc platters as coasters - so I might need to get hold of one of those wafers for full set

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29/10/2010 02:02:21 »
What's the diameter of that wafer - it's beautiful.  I use hard disc platters as coasters - so I might need to get hold of one of those wafers for full set

It's an 8 inch (diameter) wafer. The chips are about 20 million gate equivalents.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 29/10/2010 02:02:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums