The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: soya and osteoporosis  (Read 5382 times)

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
soya and osteoporosis
« on: 17/05/2003 08:32:33 »
Anybody seen the article about soya and infants in this week's New Scientist?

It said that babies that are fed with soya-based formula are more likely to have discomfort during menstruation. And baby boys born from vegetarian mothers were 5 times as likely to have genital abnormalities. All these is due to higher levels of phytoestrogens in the body. Does anybody know why?

The article also mentioned that phytoestrogens have been claimed as remedies for osteoporosis.

Osteoporosis is caused by the break down of pyrophosphates, which our bones are made of, by an acid (HCl) secreted by 'jellyfish-like cells' present in the fluid surrounding the bones. This disease is currently treated by replacing lost pyrophosphates with biophosphates, which have similar chemical structures and are acid stable. A powerful drug also cause the 'jellyfish-like cells' to self-destruct.

Back to the question, how does phytoestrogens help to reduce osteoporosis? Any expert in this field?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: soya and osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2003 06:12:26 »
I read a book called Brain Sex, that described the development of the male and female brain, and how each one is organized differently.  The author speculated that minor changes in hormone levels may contribute to a male developing a female organized brain and vice versa, which would produce a homosexual. If that's true, makes sense that variations in hormone levels could cause abnormalities in genital development.  I wonder if there's a higher rater of homosexuality in the boys with abnormal genitals?  The soya has to be very close to estrogen in composition, because those who have hormone dependent cancers, i.e. breast cancer, are cautioned against using soy supplements.

As I understand it, and I'm sure Chris could explain it better, the break down and rebuilding of bone is a balanced, continuous process, regulated my many hormones, of which estrogen is only one.  Obviously, the loss of estrogen upsets the balance, thus meonpausal women get osteoporosis.  The soy supplement provides phytoestrogens, which substitute for the estrogen, and restore the balance.  That's the nurses simplistic explanation.  The docs can give you the more technical data.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: soya and osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2003 06:12:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums