The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What colour are Lewis Hamilton & Barak Obama?  (Read 27150 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
What colour are Lewis Hamilton & Barak Obama?
« Reply #25 on: 06/11/2008 21:54:23 »
So you would call a black man a nigger then?

That's not what I said, is it. I was querying why it depends on the colour of a person's skin whether the word can be used or not. That in itself is racist and makes the whole PC issue a nonsense.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06/11/2008 22:45:38 »
And all I'm saying is that people do worry about being PC because they haven't been allowed to explore what it is and what is acceptable. This is especially the case in rural areas. Ignorance and stereotyping in the media don't help. I read an article recently about a black farmer in Lincolnshire who kept getting the police calling on him when he went out to pick his maize. The ignorant people around him didn't see a black farmer. They saw a black thief steeling maize. The guy was surprisingly tolerant of the situation. If I were him I would be fuming!
I have also been on the other end of racism when I lived in Japan. After a year the pointing and the cries of "gaijin" really gets you down. Name calling is very wearing when it is constant.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06/11/2008 22:54:27 »
I've been on the receiving end too in Africa because I had a black girlfriend. It was her who got the abuse for being with a "mzungu".

blakestyger

« Reply #28 on: 06/11/2008 22:55:10 »
When I was training to be an Appropriate Adult (in the criminal justice system) there was a young black man from another town in the same group.
He said that when he first went out as an Appropriate Adult to help some one in custody who was deemed vulnerable the police automatically assumed it was him they had to interview - he was very good natured about it and said that he'd half thought to let it run to see how it would develop.

paul.fr

« Reply #29 on: 07/11/2008 11:43:33 »
I would guess they are both different colours depending on your own outlook, but then again i think Obama tried to be all things to all people.

As strange as it may seem, i am often asked if i am "half-cast"! But this tends to be in area's where there is little ethnic diversity or where the people are just racist. The fact that i have a good, year round tan, never occurs to them. Similary my daughter is mistaken for someone of medeteranian origin, i have no idea why this is because both her mother and i are white!

As for the 'N' word, yes this is used by blacks to other blacks and it can be used as an insult or a welcoming greeting.

As for race in America, i think nobody knows how to address people. You will often see the same interviewer refer to the interviewee as black and african american in the same interview, but i do put most of the "blame" on the black population. In their strive to be different, they want to be classed as african americans when they (the majority) are quite cleerly americans. why can we all not just be american, british or french...sorry, i dont think anyone would WANT to be french.

I leave you with this picture, what do you honestly think the missing letter is? This is wheel of fortune and the clue is "people who annoy you"

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07/11/2008 16:20:31 »
What are noggers?

blakestyger

« Reply #31 on: 07/11/2008 16:37:42 »
It's probably 'NAGGERS' - if the little figure of a woman is significant.

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07/11/2008 17:30:19 »
But that illustrates my point about PC. How can it be OK for person A to use a particular word but not person B? That is saying that the word itself is not inherently offensive, but that it can be offensive or not depending on who uses it. Isn't that showing up the very differences that PC is supposed to play down?
It isn't so much who uses the word, as the context in which it is used. When black people use it among themselves, they are not likely to be being offensive.
My objection to the politically correct dialogue, management speak and similar contrivances, is that they are modish or inflated diction.And, according to the Oxford guide to English usage, only a bad writer uses modish or inflated diction.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #33 on: 07/11/2008 17:40:12 »
What are noggers?

Same as 'nuggers' but with an 'o', not the same as neggers though.

What a load of hurrr

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12/11/2008 15:12:58 »
sorry, i dont think anyone would WANT to be french.

I think this is the only racist, or at least, nationalist, comment in this discussion.

blakestyger

« Reply #35 on: 12/11/2008 16:53:23 »
sorry, i dont think anyone would WANT to be french.

I think this is the only racist, or at least, nationalist, comment in this discussion.

How is that? I would not want to be French because of their horrendous beaurocracy - I've had experience of being at the wrong end it - that is devised by the French for the French. Does that make me racist or 'nationalist' whatever that is?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12/11/2008 18:28:01 »
You suggested that no one wants to be French when what you meant was that you don't. Personally, I'm happy being British because that is what I am used to. Other people would not wish to be British. You do need to qualify bald statements otherwise you do sound racist. This is where political correctness comes in handy!!!!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12/11/2008 20:53:17 »
Blake - I don't want to be an onion-string-wearing, cycle-riding, stripey-T-shirted, frog eater either!  :D

blakestyger

« Reply #38 on: 12/11/2008 22:52:02 »
You forgot the garlic-chewing. ;D

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12/11/2008 23:02:29 »
rhade, I tried, but these uncouth bunch just don't know how to behave.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12/11/2008 23:17:34 »
I would not want to be French because of their horrendous beaurocracy ...
Does that make me racist or 'nationalist' whatever that is?

I'm glad you didn't say chauvinist, that would have ranked alongside Dubya's "The French have no word for entrepreneur".

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12/11/2008 23:19:30 »
Thanks Rd that really made me chuckle.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13/11/2008 00:07:09 »
The French are very xenophobic. They fear the British, the Germans, The Spanish, The Monaconians (or whatever they're called) & the Andorrans.

paul.fr

« Reply #43 on: 13/11/2008 06:33:37 »
rhade, why do you think what i wrote was racist? I find it strange that you thought that was racist, but have no problem with the image i posted. Both were (intended) to be humerous, afterall, isn't "knocking" the french a british passtime?
Would it not have been better to ask me if i intended it to sound racist or for clarification on what i wrote? Now, if this was being discussed with a frenchman and he thought i was being racist, we would possibly be sat around a large table drinking wine, our voices would be ever so slightly raised and we would begin eating some cheese. The passionate frenchman would by now be throwing his hands up in the air. No not in a gesture to his frustration, but the typical action of a cheese eating, surrender monkey!
Mil
I hope the above is politically correct and nonracist sounding? Also, did you mean "other people MAY not wish to be British"?
Blakestyger
in the world we live in anything can be turned and manipulated.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13/11/2008 16:21:35 »
This is one of the most depressing threads I have seen in a long time - we are all just human beings and this should be all that we see in each other.
« Last Edit: 13/11/2008 16:27:42 by JimBob »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13/11/2008 16:59:29 »
This is one of the most depressing threads I have seen in a long time - we are all just human beings and this should be all that we see in each other.

I agree. I was just wondering why Obama & Hamilton see themselves as black as when they are as white as they are black.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13/11/2008 21:06:36 »
Because they have been racially abused. People who see themselves as a minority group refer to themselves as black or gay!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13/11/2008 21:09:12 »
Paul if you would like some more French bashing info ....most French people admit to eating whilst on the toilet!!!!!! YUK!

paul.fr

« Reply #48 on: 13/11/2008 21:16:37 »
Paul if you would like some more French bashing info ....most French people admit to eating whilst on the toilet!!!!!! YUK!

Thanks, sharon, I will add that to the list. Did you know that the french have taken their own precautions against al-Qa'ida. To prepare for? an attack, each Frenchman is urged to keep duct tape, a white flag, and ?a three-day supply of mistresses in the house."

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13/11/2008 21:36:01 »
They should just wave an orange suit at them. That usually does the trick.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 13/11/2008 21:36:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums