The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the role of aldehyde dehydrogenase in protecting the heart?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline srobert

• View Profile
I've been catching up on Naked Scientist podcasts and just listened to one from September where a researcher was discussing their work which increased the activity of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase and this helped reduce the risk from heart attacks and it made me wonder if this relates to the mechanism by which drinking alcohol in moderate amounts helps prevent heart disease.

Ethanal (Acetaldehyde) is a metabolite of ethanol, so I'm guessing that aldehyde dehydrogenase is involved in the metabolism of this alcohol by-product. Therefore by drinking alcohol and therefore producing aldehyde does this prompt the body to produce more, or more active, aldehyde dehydrogenase which then helps to prevent heart disease by the mechanism being discussed on the show?

« Last Edit: 08/11/2008 17:50:18 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Hi Stephen

that's what the data suggest, yes. In vivo the enzyme removes toxic aldehyde species produced by metabolic stress, including nonanal. The upregulation of the enzyme is achieved by increasing the half life of the mRNA that encodes the protein, thus increasing the amount of available enzyme for detoxification. Ethanol produces ethanal, also a substrate for the enzyme, and one presumes that this is the trigger for upregulation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums