The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does my leg hurt after I injured my back?  (Read 13356 times)

Lewellian Matthews

Why does my leg hurt after I injured my back?
« on: 09/11/2008 22:47:46 »
Lewellian Matthews  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Chris,

I recently tripped backwards and fell on my bum.  This had a serious effect on the degenerative vertebrae in my lower back collapsing and pinching a nerve.  Three days later I started getting pains in the hip upper leg, so severe I could not walk at all well.  After being manipulated by a chiropractor the pain went away and I walked out of his rooms without pain.  The pain did come back after about three days, but has generally got better after each treatment.

Question:  My leg or hip was not injured in the fall,  why then is my brain telling me that the leg is sore and not my back?  What would happen to leg and hip if I took medication for the leg?

I do enjoy your show with Redi on radio 702 so I will listen on Friday.

THANKS

Kind Regards

Lew Matthews

What do you think?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2008 00:01:40 »
This pain in your hip and thigh sounds like sciatica
Sciatica is a referred pain: the sensory nerve to the leg is being compressed by the spine giving
the false sensation of pain in the buttock & thigh. It's a neurological a short-circuit.
« Last Edit: 10/11/2008 00:58:09 by RD »

Offline berzerkerca

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2009 04:59:32 »
Inversion therapy is the best treatment for back pain and sciatica that I know of.  In 04 I had to get back surgery for a herniated disc.  Nearly 2 years after surgery I STILL had painful and crippling sciatica, weak legs and pain.  A friend of mine turned me on to inversion therapy and I have been hanging upside down ever since.  what I've learned through treating with inversion therapy is that although we feel pain in  our backs, the pain really originates in the core, stomach or ab muscles.  As I inverted I felt my abs start to loosen as the spasms were stretched away.  As my abs relaxed they loosened their grip on my hip muscles, thighs and of course my back muscles.  Once these muscles were also relaxed my lower back and pelvis were free to go back into alignment and as they did my sciatica disappeared.  I have been virtually pain free for 3 years now because of inversion therapy and I want the world to know!  Inversion therapy has literally saved my life.  Do some research yourself and see if you think inversion therapy can help you as it did me.  All my best and Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2009 08:37:11 by BenV »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2009 21:03:46 »
Getting a good physio therapist is essential for a full recovery. The newbie is correct in saying that sometimes the pain comes from muscle spasm. Massage and gentle exercises to build up muscle strength is also recommended.

Offline gabrieljosh

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2009 17:43:57 »
Just wanna share this... Shoulder and Back Pain are common because these areas are vulnerable to injury, such as sprains and strains. Other disorders that may cause back pain include herniated disc, degenerative disc disease, pinched nerves, scoliosis and sciatica. There is no way to avoid shoulder pain entirely. There are ways to make it less likely, though, such as regular stretching and taking proper advantage of ergonomically-designed furniture and office equipment.

source: newbielink:http://www.ergonomic-resources.com/ [nonactive]

Offline carreerslut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/07/2009 05:27:37 »
Had MRIs of my back and it is seriously screwed - scoliosis, protruding discs, giant blood and bone lesions.  Was told it was normal, for a 90 year old?  I am a young woman.  After a lovely career teaching martial arts, pilates and circuit training, was struck down some years back by an inexplicable degenerative weakness around my upper legs and hips, and pain so severe I need daily morphine.  The response of the medical community?  Straight to a hip replacement clinic where I was kept for years, waiting for my fairly non-existant normal wear and tear arthritis to get bad enough to need a hip replacement.  Could have been there a lifetime.  Within a few years and hips not needing replacing was reduced to walking with a cane, and legs so weak I could no longer exercise at all.  Now sensation is going in my feet, such that a recent car accident took me several days to realise I had broken a bone, and the morphine togrther with handfulls of related meds is all I live for. 

Nobody links it in with my back.  Am treated like a drug seeker now, despite also having endometriosis and on reading my clinic notes seeing that doctors are well aware of the extent of my spinal damage, just don't want to report it.  That my life and career have been ruined is irrelevant, not to mention my growing reputation as a druggy.  Lots of other stuff going on medically, and never seem to shake off neurological input, although they are always patronizing and dismissive, somehow they just keep me coming back.  Am seen as a trouble maker patient now as I see straight through the bull they feed me.  Am clinically trained but that is irrelevant.  This cynicism has come purely out of my experiences as a patient.

Few doctors will deal with me now.  But the upside is that those who do tend to be the top of their game.  Endless problems getting my prescriptions filled.  They just don't get how much pain I am in.  I can be half way across a road and suddenly frozen by pain, hence the cane, gets me to a safe place.  I wake in the morning in such agony I can barely co-ordinate getting the tablets down me and drinking water.  Any movement is like being stabbed with hot pokers.

Some, some, pinching in my lower back.  Some, some, pain between the shoulder blades.  But do not have backache.  Years of training have given me good muscles and core control.  Yet as far as I am concerned the problems with my hips and legs are entirely coming from my spine.  Can even trace the areas of numbness and areas of pain to the relevant disks and the damage in them.  Is very straightforward.  But medicine has decided my hip and leg pain are a mystery, maybe not even real, exaggerated, just a ploy to get drugs.  They have solid evidence.  They know even that the endometriosis was and is still growing on my spine, yet they will not admit to it.  Why?  Why make a conundrum out of a simply solved puzzle?  An A level Biomedical Science student could work this one out.

But medicine is not about getting the right answers.  It is about stereotypes.  I am female, forties, and want pain pills.  Must be some psychological thing of course.  Have sat with doctors who have pretended not to have the evidence when it is sitting in front of them.  Have presented my own copy, and told they have no time to read it.  How dare the truth deny the power of the stereotype!  Is a clear threat to all they have worked towards, all they were taught by their predecessors. 

Until we get some non-medical professionals teaching medics the profession will never change, never grow, and practitioners will continue to be as institutionalized and out of touch as so many of them are, whilst deluding themselves they are pillars of society.  Personally boycott watching medical dramas and the like, where doctors are portrayed as heroes.  These dangerous incompetents go to work full of how special they think they are, whilst everyone else, from patient to nurse to relative, does their job for them, diagnosing and treating, and they are protected and expect everyone else to clear up after their mistakes, often involving permanent injury or even death to vulnerable people.

Took me decades to get this cynical, they did a sound job on me.  Worked alongside them once upon a time...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 06/07/2009 05:27:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length