The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do rice and beans make a "whole" protein?  (Read 10459 times)

How do rice and beans make a "whole" protein?
« on: 09/11/2008 22:48:31 »
mike asked the Naked Scientists:

Great show , i love the kitchen science.. good job Mr. Ansell.

I have a question about beans and rice , beans are not a whole protein and rice is not a whole protein but if you eat them together it will form a whole protein. So my question is what if you only have beans and beer will it form a whole protein ... would it have to be rice beer or would an ale work ?

What do you think?

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
How do rice and beans make a
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2008 17:13:45 »
The answer lies in that both rice and beans contain different amino acids.

Protein from animal sources, such as meat and milk, is called complete, because it contains all nine (or eight, depending on sources) of the essential amino acids. Most vegetable protein is considered incomplete because it lacks one or more of the essential amino acids*). This can be a concern for someone who doesn't eat meat or milk products. But people who eat a vegetarian diet can still get all their essential amino acids by eating a wide variety of protein-rich vegetable foods.

For instance, you can't get all the amino acids you need from peanuts alone, but if you have peanut butter on whole-grain bread you're set. Likewise, red beans won't give you everything you need, but e.g. red beans and rice will do the trick.

The good news is that you don't have to eat all the essential amino acids in every meal.

As long as you have a variety of protein sources throughout the day, your body will get what it needs from each meal.

*)essential amino acids cannot be synthesized by the body

more on Essential amino acids on Wiki

« Last Edit: 10/11/2008 17:15:36 by Alandriel »

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2008 22:11:08 »
I do love lamb chops tho'.
What a pity it is becoming an irresponsible preference.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2008 22:11:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums