The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I need to clear my throat at night?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline youdontknowme

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why do I need to clear my throat at night?
« on: 12/11/2008 03:23:35 »
 At night especially -- I've wondered why I continually need to clear my throat? Seems to come in waves and our family doc says not to worry. Of course, he isn't kept up at night clearing his throat.

I've suspected post nasal drip. If that is the cause, what is the  etiology?

... and most important a real fix?

Saline irrigation is okay but not predictable; don't want to use any cortisone related sprays. Eliminating dairy and making sure the sleep area is spot clean is not doing the job...

thanks

Mod edit - Formatted the subject as a question - please do this to help keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate - thanks!  Also, welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: 12/11/2008 09:37:09 by BenV »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2008 22:12:24 »
Sorry but flixanase is the only answer.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2008 22:42:42 »
Other corticosteroid nasal sprays are available e.g. Beconase (and cheaper generic equivalents).

Non-steroidal antihistamine nasal sprays are available...

Antihistamine nasal sprays

Do they work?

Yes. There's a good chance that using an antihistamine nasal spray will help to reduce your hayefver symptoms. The only antihistamine nasal spray you can get in the UK contains the drug azelastine.

Some research suggests that antihistamine nasal sprays containing azelastine works just as well antihistamine tablets.

What are they?

Antihistamines are drugs that block histamine, one of the chemicals that cause your hay fever symptoms. The only antihistamine that you can get as a spray is called azelastine. You breathe it in through your nose twice a day. The brand name is Rhinolast. You can get it on prescription from your doctor.

How can they help?

Antihistamines can help you feel better by relieving the symptoms of hay fever. Breathing in a spray that contains azelastine through your nose can help to reduce symptoms such as sneezing, and having a runny nose, an itchy nose, a blocked nose and itchy, watery eyes.

Antihistamine nasal spray containing azelastine seems to work as well as antihistamine tablets.

http://besthealth.bmj.com/btuk/conditions/16510.html
« Last Edit: 27/11/2008 22:51:48 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2008 22:42:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums