The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is my computer opening dozens of windows?  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why is my computer opening dozens of windows?
« on: 12/11/2008 10:09:57 »
I'm staying with a friend in South Florida right now and wireless internet isn't available.  I'm using my cell phone as a modem and the connection is very slow.  I've made a few posts tonight, but when I hit submit, my screen goes blank and doesn't display the page. I open in tabs, so when it did this I went to the other tab and came back to TNS.  When I try to close out the first tab, dozens and dozens and dozens of windows open up and I can't stop it.  This has happened 3 times tonight. 

It did this at home a few times and Nicholas stopped it for me.  I thought he hit alt F4, but I can't remember.  Why is it doing this and how can I stop it?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2008 10:13:13 »
Hi Carolyn - funny, my browser just did that too. It hit ctrl/alt/del and stopped the "task". I don't know what needs to be done on a phone, but if you can stop the operation somehow, that might help.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2008 10:36:04 »
Carolyn..before you hit reply look below the reply box uncheck the checked boxes.. uncheck return to this page and the other checked  box..then hit send or submit... wait and it should take you back to the page...

mine turns blank  if I  leave those boxes checked...

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/11/2008 21:21:07 »
Carolyn you mmight have chosen a rogue site that automatically thinks that you want it to open and re-open constantly on
other browsers that you do not actually need.

If it happens to me then I try to beat it by closing the tabs/sites or have to reboot the PC.

I have never used my mobile phone for the web as it costs too much for me.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2008 17:39:47 »
Carolyn..before you hit reply look below the reply box uncheck the checked boxes.. uncheck return to this page and the other checked  box..then hit send or submit... wait and it should take you back to the page...

mine turns blank  if I  leave those boxes checked...

Thanks Karen, but that didn't do it either. 

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/11/2008 17:41:55 »
Carolyn you mmight have chosen a rogue site that automatically thinks that you want it to open and re-open constantly on

If it happens to me then I try to beat it by closing the tabs/sites or have to reboot the PC.

Thanks Rosalind, but it wasn't a rogue site, I was here on this site.  I use my cell phone when I'm traveling and can't get a wireless connection.  I pay a fee for that with my cell phone provider and have unlimited access.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/11/2008 22:50:32 »

Thanks Rosalind, but it wasn't a rogue site, I was here on this site.  I use my cell phone when I'm traveling and can't get a wireless connection.  I pay a fee for that with my cell phone provider and have unlimited access.

Ok Carolyn have a look at the cookies. I don't use my mobile for the web as I've said.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #7 on: 20/11/2008 22:57:02 »
It could be a one-off glitch, it could be something malicious, or it could be a simple thing like a stuck 'enter' key on your keyboard. The 'enter' on my numeric keypad gets stuck down sometimes and causes bizarre things to happen!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/11/2008 05:54:57 »
I've also had the "dozens of windows" problem, only on this site.
Possibly a browser-specific problem : I'm using IE7 on Vista.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 22/11/2008 05:54:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums