The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does dust mite allergy have a permanent cure?  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Polaris

• View Profile
Does dust mite allergy have a permanent cure?
« on: 14/11/2008 02:47:18 »
My friend developed this allergy for nearly 2 decades. The doctors gave him some medicine to temporarily relieve the symptom but it has a side effect that makes his eyes really dry. A better medicine is something steroid, but he cannot use it for a long period but only like 2 weeks but then again eyes get red.

Is there a permanent way to cure this? to solve this problem? (well,allergy isnt supposed to be cured.)

I would appreciate it if you could answer me!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 16/11/2008 10:05:23 »
Dust mite allergy is very common and the cause of asthma. The allergen (the chemical provoking the reaction) are components of the mites themselves including their faeces which become airborne and then settle on epithelial surfaces where they provoke allergy symptoms.

Unfortunately allergies are a manifestation of the immune system doing the job it is programmed to do, albeit inappropriately. We are constantly bombarded by pathogens, which the immune system has evolved to combat. It does this by making a highly specific response that is targeted at selective antigens. In the skin this involves the use of antibodies called IgE, which are coupled to cells loaded with histamine, known as mast cells. When an antigen is detected in the skin or on an epithelial surface by the IgE it triggers the mast cell equivalent of pulling the pin from an hand grenade. The mast cell degranulates, pumping out histamine, which triggers inflammation and attracts the other components of the immune system to flock to the area to fight off the perceived invader.

Unfortunately, people with allergies have an IgE that recognises the wrong thing and detonates this reaction inappropriately. The only way to prevent this from happening is to suppress the immune response, which is what steroids do. Other treatments, like antihistamines, focus on modifying the symptoms.

Scientists would dearly like to learn how to re-programme the immune system so that inappropriate reactions against innocuous things like foods and pollen could be turned off but without altering the vital immune response required to protect against genuine pathogenic threats.

Unfortunately for people like me (I have hayfever) they're not there yet.

Yours sniffily

Chris

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/11/2008 22:06:07 »
Those with dust-mite allergy have a good excuse not to make their bed...

“We know that mites can only survive by taking in water from the atmosphere using small glands on the outside of their body,” Dr Pretlove said. “Something as simple as leaving a bed unmade during the day can remove moisture from the sheets and mattress so the mites will dehydrate and eventually die.”

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/pressoffice/latestnews/2005/january/17-messy-bedroom-could-spell-end-for-creepy-crawlies/

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 16/11/2008 22:06:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums