The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hyster Vs. Cat, Who cares?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Hyster Vs. Cat, Who cares?
« on: 14/11/2008 09:42:14 »
Please allow me a quick rant here.

Last night, working on the Japan Car Show at the Science Museum, the main logistics contractor I was sub-contracting to, had hired in a 7 ton Hyster FLT. WHY????????

They are sluggish with a tendancy to 'all or nothing', 'creep' and have the worst frontal vision obstruction.

I TOLD THEM TO HIRE A CATERPILLAR!!! Cat's are infinately better than Hyster's. And I have to put up with the damn thing again tonight!!!!

Modern FLT technology used by Cat, JCB, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan and just about every other FLT manufacturer is far superior to the old tech used by Hyster. Why do they continue to use this crappy old technology!!!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2008 09:58:16 »
I think your rant might be a little esoterical? You have my symapthies, however!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2008 11:20:54 »
Yes, you are probably right. But I had to have grumble to someone, even if they don't know what the hell I'm bubbling about.

FLT = fork lift truck.

Crappy Hyster

nice Cat.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2008 15:45:23 »
I was envisioning a cat travelling Faster Than Light

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2008 15:50:19 »
Go on - tell us how they are different.
They're both yellow, for a start and they always seem to be going backwards when I go into a warehouse beep beep beep beep.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/11/2008 15:54:41 »
Go on - tell us how they are different.
They're both yellow, for a start and they always seem to be going backwards when I go into a warehouse beep beep beep beep.

1 of them has got a black top, the other a black bottom (wasn't that a 1920s dance?)

lyner

« Reply #6 on: 14/11/2008 16:08:46 »
Now we're just being silly.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 15/11/2008 16:06:21 »
Now we're just being silly.

Nothing new there!

As I said about the Hyster:

They are sluggish with a tendancy to 'all or nothing', 'creep' and have the worst frontal vision obstruction.

Another note on that Nissan Pivo 2, it is valued at £4 million. Think of how many Lambo's or Ferrari's you could get for that!

lyner

« Reply #8 on: 15/11/2008 22:52:59 »
Don_1
I'm genuinely interested in the difference. You obviously feel strongly enough to explain.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #9 on: 17/11/2008 11:04:36 »
You would need to actually use the trucks to experience and understand the difference.

At the Japan Car show I had to manoeuvre a £4m concept car through some tight gaps on uneven, sloping ground. On occasions I needed to stop to assess the situation. Although I had a number of people watching and informing me of 'clearance' on each side and from the ground, they were not experienced FLT operators, so I could only take limited notice of what they were telling me. On a slight downward slope, with the FLT in forward gear,  a need to reverse in order to reposition the truck's attitude to a forthcoming narrow gap needs the truck to respond to the change in direction instantly. On most FLT's the switch from forward to reverse gear will result in just that. On a Hyster however, there is a tendency for the truck to 'creep' forward before its reverse gear takes effect. The same effect happens from reverse to forward. The 'creep' distance will depend on the gradient of the slope.

While trying to get this car, mounted on a 3.8m x 2m plinth, through a 2.2m double door at the front of the museum, I had to approach the door from the road, come down the quite steep camber, up the ramps, mount steel spreader plates, laid down on the pavement to spread the combined weight of the truck & it's load (there is a tube foot tunnel directly under the pavement) and place the load in the narrow doorway. You must be aware that the steering wheels on a FLT are at the back, so a slight alteration of direction has an exaggerated effect on the front of a load of this length. In this instance, the approach to the doorway had to be spot on before the load entered as direction adjustment while part way through the first doorway would have resulted in contact with the second doorway.

The need to alter the truck's attitude to the door required the truck to be reversed while coming down the road camber. It 'crept' forward before reverse took effect. The result of this being the need for re-evaluation of the attitude alteration, and the sharp change of direction from forward to reverse resulted in a good deal of load bounce.

This delayed response when changing direction is a pain in the arse and can be dangerous.

Then there is the crawler function. Like a car with auto transmission, putting the FLT in gear and releasing the hand brake will cause the truck to move. FLTís have two foot brakes, one is the stop brake, and the other is the crawler brake. Using the crawler brake on an FLT allows for slow movement without the use of the accelerator, but on a Hyster, the accelerator must be used. Too much pressure on the crawler brake will render the accelerator ineffective, while too little pressure will result in the truck moving too fast and too far.

My other beef with Hysters is the forward vision. The back plate of the lifting carriage is too bulky. Combined with the chains and hydraulic pipes it restricts forward vision to the extent that it can often be impossible to see the forks clearly.

Well, thatís got that off my chest. Grumble, grumble, moan, gripe, beef.

Wednesday & Thursday is the build-up for Erotica at Olympia and I will have a Caterpillar.... Sheer bliss. But, alas, Friday to Sunday is the build-up of PETEX and I will have to suffer the Hyster again.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 17/11/2008 11:04:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums