The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Sick with strange symptoms  (Read 2672 times)

Offline RobotGymnast

• Dum de dumm...
    • View Profile
Sick with strange symptoms
« on: 17/11/2008 14:43:36 »
I have been sick for the past.. 4 days or so. My symptoms seem to vary, and notihng on the internet has encompassed all of my current symptoms.

On thursday, I had what seemed to be a migrane; headache, dizziness, feeling dehydrated (despite LARGE intake of water).

On friday, my symptoms changed more to that of a common flu (influenza): throbbing headache (pressure, not stabbing pain), tiredness, slight nausea, extreme changes from feeling quit cold (primarily in the day) to feeling intensely hot (mainly in the night).

Saturday, I had similar symptoms, less of a fever, and the headache was more contained to my eyes. I also gained a couch and a slight sore throat. In the evening, I noticed an outbreak of light red dots (not unlike the mottling skin gets with temperature changes) across my torso, the biggest were perhaps the size of the non-writing end of a pen. The dots are quite light, fairly close together, and cannot be felt.

Sunday brought the headache being localized completely to the top of my eyes, near the bone. I also began gagging and almost vomiting (although I have not vomited) My mother examined my symptoms on the internet and suspected it was either measles or roseola. I noticed when falling asleep that my eyes felt warm (not unpleasantly so, except when I noticed that eyes aren't supposed to feel warm). This led me to check the internet and find Cellulitis as a possible cause. The dots to not disappear when a glass is pressed against them.

Monday (today): the red dots are fairly close together and there a lot of them, spreading along my arms and I believe to my face. Other than that, no change.

I'm 15, Caucasian, quite thin (mainly due to my metabolism). Hereditarily, my father's side of the family has a history of psoriasis, and my mother's has moderate acne. Any help on what this is would be appreciated.

I may have also not noticed some symptoms (like I didn't noticed my headache had been slowly localizing until yesterday), so asking about other symptoms might not hurt.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/11/2008 17:04:03 »
Exanthem is the medical name given to a widespread rash that is usually accompanied by systemic symptoms such as fever, malaise and headache. It is usually caused by an infectious condition such as a virus, and represents either a reaction to a toxin produced by the organism, damage to the skin by the organism, or an immune response. Exanthems may also be due to a drug (especially antibiotics).

http://www.dermnetnz.org/viral/viral-exanthem.html   (photos)

Offline RobotGymnast

• Dum de dumm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/11/2008 20:39:39 »
Hmm... I guess what I have is similar to that (although mine is much lighter.. barely distinguishable from the skin). It's useful to know that it's a virus, thanks

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2008 00:15:22 »
Exanthem can be caused by viral or bacterial infections, or allergy.

Offline RobotGymnast

• Dum de dumm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2008 02:28:26 »
Oh right. It says that on the page, doesn't it? It sounds familiar (I read the page, took a break for a while because the computer screen was hurting my eyes, and then read your post).

That does look like it though.. although, again, mine's much lighter. I've scheduled a doctor's appointment

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2008 02:28:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums