The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you do when your lonesome, bored and cannot get out much...?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Just wondering as I am running out of things to do?

What kind of things do you do... I read, write email people who never mail back.. LOL..

clean, do crafts, stay in bed, watch tv.. take very short walks.. when I can.. play with the dog..

make messes just to clean them up!LOL..

You?

blakestyger

Haven't you got a hobby or abiding interest? Could you enrol for a course at a university that does adult/continuing education? That's what I do.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
I go down to the Blue Onion coffee shop in Andover at lunch time. Outside sits a bunch of diverse people that can't hold down a steady job because they hate office politics and are square pegs that don't fit into round holes. Most are self employed and meet there for company whilst eating lunch. We talk about all sorts of stuff, sort of a real life forum. We have a good laugh together and I come away feeling refreshed.
I also go for a swim or a massage.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Haven't you got a hobby or abiding interest? Could you enrol for a course at a university that does adult/continuing education? That's what I do.

I have hobbies.. crafts sewing,reading music.. etc.. but you can only do that so long and you get bored.. I can no longer maneuver the University.. I did that until a year ago!

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
I'm crashing in my vacation home, alone, tonight. 
The whole neighborhood is deserted.
I can't even hear distant traffic.
Bored and lonely no doubt.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yeah that way most all the time here...Its the pits! and I hate it!

Sorry.. you are alone too.

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
Thanks Karen.

It's quiet back home too, but my dog means it's rarely lonely.
Here it's just me and the TV, and I'm not too impressed with it.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
There are plenty of distance learning courses that you can do - in the UK there is the Open University, perhaps there is something similar in the states? I did a few years on an OU course, which is all done at home. There are also group meetings if you want them, but it's not compulsory. But it was great to be able to learn something interesting at home.

Perhaps it's possible to enrol with the OU as an overseas student?

You like poetry and so on - I'm sure that there are literature courses that you could do, creative writing and so on. How about clubs and societies? My mother in law (76) is a memeber of various societies such as the book club in which they select a few books, read and review them on a 2 weekly basis, or so. You could start one up yourself, perhaps? You could even try to find that book that everyone has inside them - do something novel and write a novel! Or a childrens book. How about art - do you like painting or photography? Or painting your photographs?

I'm teaching myself the classical guitar - do you have an interest in something like this?

Or spend time making that perfect cup of coffee!

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
That's what videogames are for!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Karen - here is a link to the Open University website that shows which courses are available for those living in the US. There are short courses on writing poetry, family history, fiction and plays, amongst others...

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/USA.shtm

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Karen.

It's quiet back home too, but my dog means it's rarely lonely.
Here it's just me and the TV, and I'm not too impressed with it.

I hope you are finding something to do tonight... hope its a nice neighborhood!

Yeah I just watched 3 terrible suspence movies that were not very good.. I am bored stiff. I need some human company... Not my dog or my kids.. someone who likes to talk.... LOL... have a good conversation and not say wait sh sh sh sh.. he is gonna score! LOL.. Thats all I heard here for 27 years... No more. scoring of that variety.. Not every day all day long every day of the year!

I'm not bitter really I'm not... LOL...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
There are plenty of distance learning courses that you can do - in the UK there is the Open University, perhaps there is something similar in the states? I did a few years on an OU course, which is all done at home. There are also group meetings if you want them, but it's not compulsory. But it was great to be able to learn something interesting at home.

Perhaps it's possible to enrol with the OU as an overseas student?

You like poetry and so on - I'm sure that there are literature courses that you could do, creative writing and so on. How about clubs and societies? My mother in law (76) is a memeber of various societies such as the book club in which they select a few books, read and review them on a 2 weekly basis, or so. You could start one up yourself, perhaps? You could even try to find that book that everyone has inside them - do something novel and write a novel! Or a childrens book. How about art - do you like painting or photography? Or painting your photographs?

I'm teaching myself the classical guitar - do you have an interest in something like this?

Or spend time making that perfect cup of coffee!

I would like to write some poetry worth publishing but I am a lousy poet! LOL.. Its just fun I love doing it......

Children's stories are great....  that would be fun...  I have a need to feel what I am writing or it doesn't happen... so that is difficult to do.

Courses might be fun.. I would also like to tell children stories.. I did take a class on story telling.. folk tails etc.. We have a local storytellers group that are quite good!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums