The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A hotel puzzle  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
A hotel puzzle
« on: 19/11/2008 22:56:59 »
Three people book in to one room in a hotel. The room costs 30 for a night so each hand over 10. When the three people settle in the hotel manager gets a phone call from head office to say all rooms now cost 25. The manager gives the bell boy 5 and says he is to give it to the three men. The bell boy is grumpy and didn't get a tip so he pockets 2 and gives the men the other 3. The three men have all paid 9 making 27 and the bell boy kept 2. This makes 29 so where did the other 1 go?

Answers on a postcard to "I am a maths genius and have a brain bigger than JimBobs bum"

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
A hotel puzzle
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2008 00:40:10 »
In the end, the three men have only paid 27, not 30.  The 2 kept by the bell boy should be subtracted from the 27, not added to it.

Try it with different values:-

The room now originally costs 33, so each man pays 11.  The cost, once again, drops to 25, so the total refund due is 8.  The bell boy keeps 2 and refunds 6, thus each man has now paid 9 again, for a sum of 27, and the bell boy has still got his 2, giving us our total of 29 again, only this time we're 4 adrift instead of 1.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A hotel puzzle
« Reply #2 on: 20/11/2008 04:14:25 »
Answers on a postcard to "I am a maths genius and have a brain bigger than JimBobs bum"

The answer would be large enough for a bill-board should MIL(f)'s Bum be used.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
A hotel puzzle
« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2008 18:09:49 »
This puzzle stopped my husband from falling asleep last night. He usually drifts off before me and snores so I asked him this before dropping off knowing he would have to figure it out before sleeping. I fell asleep before him for once. Tee, Hee. He solved the puzzle but didn't realise I was messing with his head!

The Naked Scientists Forum

A hotel puzzle
« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2008 18:09:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums