The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there any difference in the quality of internet connenction?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
The village to which I have moved in Germany has DSL service, but I'm told that there is a finite number of potential users, and you have to go onto a list. This strikes me as odd to start with. Since it's dead-men's boots, we're looking at alternative BB connections. I believe that these alternatives are cable and satelite wifi?

Can anyone tell me firstly whether this "list" is correct.
Secondly, are there further alternatives that I haven't listed.
Thirdly, the relative merits of each alternative.

So, not too much to ask then!

Many thanks!

Stuart

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
I don't know anything about commercial satellite internet services, but two things occur to me. Firstly besides the satellite downlink, your provider will also require some other (non-satellite) upstream datapath. I imagine the upstream will be over a telephone line (like dialup) so very slow for uploads. Secondly, the time it takes to get radiowaves to the satellite and back will cause a noticeable delay - which while not an issue for large downloads or email will make web-browsing feel sluggish and Voice-over-IP extremely unnatural.

From a technical perspective, cable should be fine, if the service is available.

Another possibility you might consider is "mobile broadband" - internet over the 3G mobile network, if there is coverage in your village. For hardware you just require a little USB modem - often not much bigger than a USB memory device (and likely provided at minimal cost as part of the deal). The providers in the UK cut their prices in the springtime, and this is now viable at a cost of about 15 per month. Speeds are limited to about 1.5Mbps (depending on the network) and transfer to about 3Gbytes per month, but given those limits, it can work rather well. On the other hand, where I am I have occasional days (or worse, occasional weeks of evenings) when the service is atrocious (slower than dial-up), despite living right next to the base-station (I suspect someone on the same cell has bouts of file-sharing which saturate the upstream data channel - though the provider won't admit to anything.)
« Last Edit: 20/11/2008 22:33:23 by techmind »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input techmind - I'd forgotten about the mobile avenue. This might be the solution, since it would be for mostly email - I'll have to check the coverage. But those slow service days sound somewhat frustrating.....

lyner

If you're a 'new boy' there it may be difficult but it may be worth while making quite a fuss about it. Some providers will give you a service just to make you shut up.
Do you know how far your computer is from an exchange?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Um, no. I've no real idea what an exchange is or would look like... [:I]

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums