The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: shock and Ow!!!  (Read 7390 times)

Offline eddirichard

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
shock and Ow!!!
« on: 07/03/2005 15:31:04 »
Can anyone tell me how I can stop being shocked everytime I touch my car? I hear its pretty dangerous when you go to the gas pump!


 

Offline DrPhil

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 91
    • View Profile
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/2005 17:56:31 »
Some of the newer tires are now using silica instead of carbon black in an attempt to reduce the rolling resistance. Unfortunately silica isn't sufficiently conductive to dissipate the static electricity.

Get some tires with a higher concentration of carbon black or invest in a pair of those static diffusing rubber strips that attach to the frame and hang down and drag along the ground.
 

Offline chimera

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 475
    • View Profile
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2005 18:45:34 »
And those strips can also save your life in case your car ever got hit by lightning (without them you could get elektrocuted stepping out afterwards to check wtf happened). :)
 

Offline eddirichard

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2005 16:58:19 »
IS THAT WHAT YOU CALL 'EM RUBBER STRIPS? I HOPE THE GUYS AT AUTOZONE HAVE 'EM. THANKS!
;)
 

Offline gsmollin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 749
    • View Profile
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #4 on: 08/03/2005 18:56:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by eddirichard

Can anyone tell me how I can stop being shocked everytime I touch my car? I hear its pretty dangerous when you go to the gas pump!



You must ground yourself to the car just before you pick up the nozzle. the nozzle is already grounded. Then there can be no ESD event as the nozzle approaches the gas tank. Also, stay with the nozzle while it is filling. DO NOT re-enter the car. If you do leave the car, ground yourself to the car while well away from the gas nozzle. If you ignore all this, and you get a gas nozzle fire, KEEP THE NOZZLE IN THE TANK AND SHUT OFF THE PUMP. Pulling the nozzle out of the tank will allow air to reach the fire. Oh yes, and also do not throw the burning, gas spewing nozzle on the ground, unless you want to incinerate yourself, your car, and the whole gas station.
 

Offline Ultima

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #5 on: 08/03/2005 19:14:49 »
I thought the petrol pump/cap was coated in anti static stuff anyway?

wOw the world spins?
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #6 on: 08/03/2005 19:16:24 »
...also try not to let lit matches drop on the fuel and don't practice fire eating when filling up your car too:).....also, it's a good idea to tuen your mobile phone off when at the gas pump.....sorry...gone a bit off topic here !!;)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
 

Offline gsmollin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 749
    • View Profile
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2005 19:49:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ultima

I thought the petrol pump/cap was coated in anti static stuff anyway?

wOw the world spins?



Well it might be, but the gas cap is not the issue. The issue is the movements of the gas pump operator (a. k. a. driver) building up an electrostatic charge. Then he/she touches the gas nozzle, and the spark ignites the gas vapors around the tank opening. About 90% of these accidents are caused by women. It seems that women have two habits: 1) They wear synthetic fibers that build static charges, and 2) they get into the car while the gas is pumping. When the gas nozzle kicks off, they slide out of the car, building up a large charge, then touch the nozzle. Zap, poof!

I am very much in favor of women employing slinky fabrics in the clothes they wear, so I have to stress how important it is to keep track of your movements around gasoline vapors. Getting out of the car will build a large charge, so remember to ground yourself against the door frame. Put your hand on the car body, far away from the open gas tank before touching the gas pump nozzle. This will prevent a spark.

There are also issues about electronic devices causing gas vapor fires. Some devices are capable of starting such a fire, and some are not. Normal cell phones have not been found guilty of starting a gas vapor fire. Satellite phones and two-way radios are higher powered devices than cell phones, and may be capable of igniting vapors. Other devices, such as PDA's, Blackberries, notebook computers, and even iPods and the like are not evaluated for explosive-vapor safety. It is unlikely anybody really knows if the device you are using is capable of igniting gas vapors, especially as a failure-mode-effect, so the prudent advice is to leave that stuff in the car.
 

Offline Ultima

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #8 on: 09/03/2005 23:35:09 »
Could always go green and use recycled vegetable oil in a diesel car, much safer all round :D. I imagine we will have bigger problems if hydrogen fuel ever makes it mainstream.

wOw the world spins?
 

Offline gsmollin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 749
    • View Profile
Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #9 on: 11/03/2005 14:24:55 »
Gasoline is about the most dangerous fuel you can have (neglecting exotic rocket fuels). It has a high vapor pressure, so it is always evolving explosive vapors, but those vapors are heavier than air, so they do not dissipate in many cases. Hydrogen has lighter-than-air vapors, so they will not collect near the ground, and cause explosions.
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: shock and Ow!!!
« Reply #9 on: 11/03/2005 14:24:55 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums