The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do magnets on the door affect the function of the fridge?  (Read 13558 times)

Offline InCharacter

• First timers
  • I came, I saw, I hypothesized.
    • View Profile
JBlaughmaster@aol.com  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris and the NTS,

Hello, I was wondering what sort of electrical levels of electricity the average family refrigerator has, due to the many magnets that often cling to them; and if this at some small level works against the machine's effort to cool the interior.

Cheers!
James of Chicago

What do you think?

lyner

Do magnets on the door affect the function of the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2008 16:03:05 »
I can't think of any possible effect, except for increasing the weight of the door and making it sag on its hinges - spoiling the door deal.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #2 on: 24/11/2008 00:06:30 »
Hello, I was wondering ... ... due to the many magnets that often cling to them; and if this at some small level works against the machine's effort to cool the interior.

If you had a seriously big magnet (probably a few kg weight at least) on/under the floor very near the motor, then you might possibly magnetically saturate part of the motor which would decrease its efficiency and effectiveness and cause it to get hot...
...but your ordinary little fridge magnets aren't going to make any difference at all.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/11/2008 00:26:05 »
If you had a seriously big magnet (probably a few kg weight at least) on/under the floor very near the motor, then you might possibly magnetically saturate part of the motor which would decrease its efficiency and effectiveness and cause it to get hot...

Adding magnets can increase the efficiency of an electric motor ...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/665396/how_increase_speed_of_electric_motor/

(it depends on the orientation of the magnets)

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 24/11/2008 09:53:20 »
fridge motors are induction motors. Extra magnets can't do much more than saturate the iron and increase losses.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 24/11/2008 09:53:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums