The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does food poisoning bacteria survive and proliferate in foods?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline junior25

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I have a question relating to food poisoning which im hoping someone can help me with.

Im trying to answer the following question:

Describe, with reference to journal literature, how food poisoning bacteria are able to survive and/or proliferate in foods.

The answer must convey a recognition and understanding of:
*   the influential factors within foods which influence the growth and survival of microorganisms
*   relate these factors to the growth of specific food borne bacterial pathogens
*   use information from journals (at least five references published within four years)  to effectively explain the relationship of environmental factors and the growth of specific food borne bacterial pathogens

Now i have been able to identify the environmental factors which are oxygen, water, temperature, PH and time, but im confused what the influential factors are and how i am supposed to relate these factors to the growth of specific food borne pathogens. So if anyone can explain this to me or point me in the right direction i will be gratefull for any help i receive.

I have been researching on the internet but cant seem to find any information, i am going wrong somewhere but any one with knowledge of this area please help me out.

Mod edit - Hello, Welcome to the forum.  I've changed the subject of your post to be formatted as a question - please do this in future to help keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: 11/12/2008 10:44:12 by BenV »

Offline DrN

• View Profile
The influential factors could be the composition of the food, i.e. sugar and fat content, that may provide better nutrition for bacteria. For example, I assume that blood in raw meat would provide great nutrition for bacteria - blood is oxygenated, and contains all sorts of nutrients that were on the way to the tissues before the animal was killed for its meat!

Some foods may harbour more bacteria to begin with, like meat and dairy. Or they may harbour different kinds of bacteria, which may be more pathogenic to humans when ingested.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums