The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Canola Oil? No thank you.  (Read 178057 times)

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Canola Oil? No thank you.
« Reply #25 on: 28/11/2008 11:00:01 »
Body language and the tone of your voice etc. is indeed an important factor in communicating face-to-face, but I reckon this would apply more to general conversation/socializing rather than this kind of debate style of conversation wouldn't it? Face-to-face, you could perhaps get the same message across without thinking about your wording so much, but this format has the advantage that you have time to think about how to best articulate your message to get it across coherently.

blakestyger

« Reply #26 on: 28/11/2008 11:54:29 »
Good point, I agree. But it's predicated on people taking the time to do that - I don't mean this pejoratively - but not all contributors read what they've put before they press the post button!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28/11/2008 13:17:14 »
Face-to-face you can whack them with a monkfish if they argue!  :D

Offline miriam0920

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28/11/2008 15:01:17 »
I do eat potatoes and apples because they grow naturally.  I use Olive oil because they come from the olive tree, I use corn oil because it comes from the corn, what I don't use is Canola oil that comes from rapeseeds.  Men gets cellulite but not as much as women, that what I meant when I wrote it.   
Have a nice day. 

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29/11/2008 07:59:59 »
What do you mean by potatoes and apples grow naturally, how to they grow different from rapeseed?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29/11/2008 17:42:28 »
Do you realise that appple seeds contain cyanide and that potatoes contain solanine? These are poisonous plants.

The plants that canola is produced from are essentially free of the toxic components so why is it differeent from apples or spuds?

lyner

« Reply #31 on: 29/11/2008 18:18:58 »
[quote[The plants that canola is produced from[/quote]
Just been listening to Radio 4 on correct grammar.
 You should say "The plants from which canola is produced"  if you really want to dump on someone with a clincher argument.
That is behaviour up with which I do not put.
I fully support your argument, though.

Offline miriam0920

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29/11/2008 19:11:02 »

Debating online through forums and websites you need to be careful not to put words that can be offensive.  I am very respectful regardless if you know me or not, if you can see my face or not.  I like to learn something new each day, and share with people what I've learn. At the end they will come to their own conclusions.  I like this website because I assume we are all professionals.  I am professional in my field and BC is professional in his field.  Maybe he knows more than me in the process of ions,cations, anions,chemical reactions, equations, and all of that. (I have a degree in Liberal Arts).  I'm trying to complete a degree in Chemistry cause science is my true passion.   

« Last Edit: 29/11/2008 19:24:57 by miriam0920 »

Offline miriam0920

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29/11/2008 22:58:04 »
Do you realise that appple seeds contain cyanide? 

That is why I don't eat the seeds from the apple. I spit them out.  Or if I'm not that busy I plant them.
And I don't eat green potatoes.
« Last Edit: 29/11/2008 23:09:10 by miriam0920 »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30/11/2008 14:37:09 »
I don't understand the respect offered to a scientific website by putting forward an unevinced and inaccurate view of a technical subject by someone who knows that it's really not their field. Specifially, you said "Unfortunately, a few months later I found out he was feeding us with some rare kind of poison. " I find it offensive that someone posts rubbish like that on a scientific website.
I can also live without patronising comments like "Go to "google.com" and write Canola Oil."- particularly when it's clear that I did- that's how I found the wiki article.

How would it look if I were to make bold, yet ignorant statements on a website dedicated to the liberal arts? Would that be seen as polite?
Incidentally, if the wiki article about liberal arts is corrent in identifing them, then 4 aren't relevant to this post and you (directly or as a result of the pages you cited) got the other 3 (Grammar, Rhetoric and Logic) wrong.

I see that you have changed your standpoint from " I won't never eat something that is made out of toxic plants even it they say they clean the plant and extracted the toxin in it. 
" to " I don't eat the seeds from the apple. I spit them out.  Or if I'm not that busy I plant them. And I don't eat green potatoes."
That's a remarkabe volte face.

Offline miriam0920

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30/11/2008 16:16:08 »
BC, you are wrong in saying I have had a "volte-face."  I said I don't eat apple seeds and according to you, you are saying apple seed contain cyanide.  I eat apples but not the seeds.  Also, you say potatoes contain solanine.  But it's said to be potatoes that have been extremely exposed to the sun which causes the potatoes to have a greenish color indicating higher doses of this toxin.  By the way, what makes you so sure that the information is rubbish?  Just because you read it in wiki? Do you believe in the Big Bang theory?  What makes you so sure that really happened? Because we learn by reading, we learn that things by listening to our teachers. You believe what they say, because don't tell me everybody in this planet living today were there when the Big Bag happened?  Scientists around the world have different point of views, they discuss this and that, and write articles about there findings.  I can come here and discuss whatever I want and read everybody's opinion.  I don't see nothing wrong with that.  This is I believe a forum?

BC, yes, you have made me change my mind about something, not the Canola oil, you haven't succeed in that.  But you have changed my mind about participating in a forum where certain people think they know it all.

Enjoy your day! :)

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30/11/2008 16:28:23 »
Hi Miriam0920,

I think you are right about respect and moderation.
Let me add that olive oil plus codliver oil is the magic formula! ;)
Nice to read that you are not bored and that Science is your true passion.
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 30/11/2008 16:33:28 by iko »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30/11/2008 20:41:44 »
Why am I wrong in saying that you have changed from "I won't never eat something that is made out of toxic plants" to "And I don't eat green potatoes."?
Since potatoes (green or otherwise) are from a toxic plant you have changed your mind.
The stuff you posted is still here for anyone to read.

"By the way, what makes you so sure that the information is rubbish? "
Because they say things like rapeseed oil contains mustard gas. Totally impossible, and you seem not to have noticed that I pointed out where mustad gas is made.

"Do you believe in the Big Bang theory?  What makes you so sure that really happened?"
Yes, I do, because there is evidence for it. That's the point of science.
By the way, did you not notice when I pointed out that I had actually seen the analysis (done by a colleague of mine) of rapeseed oil. Don't you think that counts for more than "I put a phrase into google"?
"Scientists around the world have different point of views, they discuss this and that, and write articles about there findings. "
There are not many scientists who don't believe in the big bang, but that hasn't got a lot to do with the point.

lyner

« Reply #38 on: 30/11/2008 21:54:16 »
Two alternative views are not necessarily equally valid. I would normally go for the one with more evidence behind it rather than the one with more 'emotion' behind it.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01/12/2008 07:32:10 »
I like this website because I assume we are all professionals.  I am professional in my field and BC is professional in his field.  Maybe he knows more than me in the process of ions,cations, anions,chemical reactions, equations, and all of that. (I have a degree in Liberal Arts).  I'm trying to complete a degree in Chemistry cause science is my true passion.

If science is your true passion then the first thing you should learn about is the scientific method, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

paul.fr

« Reply #40 on: 01/12/2008 07:49:47 »

Just been listening to Radio 4 on correct grammar.
 You should say "The plants from which canola is produced"  if you really want to dump on someone with a clincher argument.
That is behaviour up with which I do not put.
I fully support your argument, though.

Would that be Grammar Challenge?

Offline miriam0920

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02/12/2008 23:27:43 »
I do know about the scientific method.  What do you mean?  That I need to use the scientific method to learn about Canola oil? Yeah, because if not, don't tell me you learned about the Big Bang by doing your own scientific method. I would like to see that!  But you know, even Albert Einstein had trouble convincing his peers about the Relativity theory.  It took him 15 years to convince people that he was right. 

Peace out! 

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03/12/2008 07:10:23 »
It took a while, but eventually they were convinced by the evidence.
Pleases provide us with some.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03/12/2008 07:42:58 »
I mean don't be convinced of something yourself let alone start preaching to others, before you have evidence and have thought about it critically.

Yes I did learn about the big bang that way, through reading through all the evidence and reasoning behind it.
« Last Edit: 03/12/2008 07:47:04 by Madidus_Scientia »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03/12/2008 19:56:44 »
People accepted Eintein's work because it explained a number of things and it also predicted one, the change in the apparent positions of stars and planets when they were "near" the sun.
A bloke called Eddington looked for the effect (during an eclipse of the sun which is that only time you can see stars that are near the sun).
It turned out that Einstein's theory was right.

People beleived Eddington because he was an established figure and, at least as important, he was able to explain how he made the measurements.

You have an idea that canola oil is toxic "some rare kind of poison".
That postulate should, if it is ever to be accepted as scientific, be able to make predictions- and the good news is that it does.
If canola oil is toxic then (from the deffinitiopn of toxic) people who eat it should get sick and die.
This experiment has been done many times. Plenty of people habve eaten the stuff.
They are all still with us.
Therefore the material is not toxic, and your postulate is false.

Also we can look at some of the notions behind the idea.
For example part of your reason for believing the postulate is that you have read that it contains mustard gas.
However, one of the known properties of mustard gas is that it's an organochlorine compound.
One of the known properties of organochlorine compounds is that they are extremely rare in nature.
This means that the basis for the postulate is extremely improbable.
Also a lot of studies have been don on rapeseed plants and their relatives. Part of the motivation is that people are just interested in why mustard (for example) tastes the way it does.
There is quite a lot of data about the stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allyl_isothiocyanate
But it doesn't mention mustard gas.

Most scientist would, by now, have ditched the postulate and moved on.

Offline miriam0920

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 06/12/2008 03:30:48 »
Wow, you forgot to click "spell check" on this one.  But thanks for the postulated theory.  Unfortunately, toxics chemicals can remain in the body for many years to come before somebody dies of it.  You're reasoning haven't convince me.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06/12/2008 18:13:58 »
I'm always pleased when someone complains about my spelling, it means they haven't found anything material to complain about.

Anyway, while it's true that "Unfortunately, toxics chemicals can remain in the body for many years to come before somebody dies of it." it doesn't matter. The toxins are not there in canola.
By the way, if you plan to comment on my spelling, perhaps you ought to sort out your grammar- after all, you are the liberal arts expert.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06/12/2008 23:55:35 »
I've been using Canola for years and it hasn't done me any harm

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 07/12/2008 03:56:18 »
Really?

blakestyger

« Reply #49 on: 07/12/2008 10:52:31 »
If science is your true passion then the first thing you should learn about is the scientific method, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

This is a good entry - I think that out of all the philosophers of science, Paul Feyerabend probably got it right the most.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 07/12/2008 10:52:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums