The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Itsty Bitsy Teeny Weeny Black Holes ! Why would they pop out of existence ?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Klevur Bods & Blackholeologists,

The LHC (Which I have discovered is a fraud..see elsewhere !)...may well be capable one day of making a teeny weeny black hole:

Here's one:

It's small enough to fit in this post !

Now then, from what I understand Black Holes are so dense that even a sheepy as bright as me would be invisible upon it/in it.....because gravity has gone a bit mad and wants to keep everything for itself....hurumpth...Greddy Garvity...smak smak it's bot bot !

So, even if a teeny weeny itsy bitsy one gets made why won't it just grow very quickly ?....why did i hear that it will just fizzle out ?..how come...?..If the gravity is so immense why just go and pop out of existence ?..surely there will be lots of nice juicy non black hole stuff around for it to gobble up !!

I just do not know !...I want to know though !

Hugs & Shmishes

Neil
Owner of My Very Own Black Hole !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Bikerman

• View Profile
a) A black hole is not a ravening monster that eats everything. It has normal gravity as far as an observer is concerned (albeit very concentrated). Imagine the sun was suddenly replaced by a black hole of equal mass. Would the earth suddenly be dragged in? Nope - it would continue to orbit exactly the same (although it would get pretty damn cold). Only when you get inside the event horizon (ie close enough so that even light cannot escape) do things start to get weird. The event horizon is so small for a micro black hole that nothing would be close enough (remember that matter is mostly 'nothing').

b) There is a theory called Hawking Radiation (named for Stephen Hawking) which states that black holes actually do loose mass/energy by the creation of virtual particles at the event horizon. Thus a black hole slowly evaporates. Now, for micro black holes with extremely tiny mass then this means they they would almost instantly evaporate with a puff of energy.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Welcome back, Sheepie.

It's all to do with Hawking radiation. Virtual particles are created at the event horizon. 1 of the pair gets sucked into the BH and the other escapes. This takes a tiny amount of mass from the BH. WHen that has happened enough times, the BH goes "phut" as it has no mass left. Even a bottle of your fortified wine would fail to revive it. The smaller the BH, the quicker it happens. In the case of the smallest BHs, it could happen in 10-26 seconds; far too fast for the BH to swallow anything important.

Now, here's a little extra snippet for you to digest (you know how much I love airing my snippets). The evaporation of promordial micro blackholes created in the 1st instants of the universe could have produced nuclei of anti-deuterium!  [:0]

I won't mention Black Holeums. I won't. I refuse to!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Oh bugger - he beat me to it  [:(!]

Offline Bikerman

• View Profile
LOL...OK, I'll leave the next one to you  :)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
First come, first served and all that.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
THANK YOU, THANK YOU Both very very much. (Hugs the Biker & Beaver  ;D)

yes, I had heard of Hawkings Radiation...and what I have learned from your posts is that these tiny black holes are really quite small aren't they ?

I was thinking along the lines of the dot on the top of this " i "..(I was going to say  ' Full Stop' but could not be bothered to then explain the translation to ' period' to those peeps who live west !)

Ok, I understand now that we are talking at incredibly small dimensions here and that if the black hole was the size of the dot above the "i" then we would really be in trouble ?

Offline Bikerman

• View Profile
Yep, tiny isn't nearly adequate for this. Think of a really small thing, then think much smaller and you still ain't close.
For comparison, a proton is thought to be around 10^-15 metre.
The sort of scale of the black holes being discussed is more at the planck length - 10^-35 metres. That is not just small....it's smaller than a creationist's intelligence multiplied by a politician's integrity - THAT small!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
10-20 times the size of a proton. That's about equal to the thickness of the material left on JimBob's longjohns!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
That is not just small....it's smaller than a creationist's intelligence multiplied by a politician's integrity - THAT small!

:D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
That is not just small....it's smaller than a creationist's intelligence multiplied by a politician's integrity - THAT small!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
10-20 times the size of a proton. That's about equal to the thickness of the material left on JimBob's longjohns!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums