The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: god and science  (Read 14486 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Re: god and science
« Reply #25 on: 08/03/2006 07:46:47 »
Dear Neil, could you show this one the past thread on the subject, from about two yeras ago.

Titanscape

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #26 on: 08/03/2006 18:06:46 »
I don't believe in a God as an outside influece affecting the universe but I do believe in religion as a mental process of deferring to authority to avoid megolomania and accept C of E as a perfectly acceptable local variety and am therefore a regular churchgoer.

Science is to do with observation measurement theory and modelling.  Religion is to do with symbolism, metaphor and human interaction  They are just not the same thing and are not incompatible unless you insist on a dogma based on the literal interpretation of metaphors that are millenia old and come from totally different environments.

Try to understand the metaphor and symbolism of religion in its true context and accept it as ways of chosing the best ways for societies to live and work together to create the co-operation that leads to Today's complex society and you will realise that although it has its faults without religion we would still be hunter gatherer communities scratching a living and fighing the adjacent communities to death to keep our living space.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08/03/2006 18:10:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by tweener

quote:
Originally posted by neilep

What happens if a christian scientist discovers there's no God ?

Good question Neil!

It cannot happen!  There is no way to prove the absence of anything.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

JOHN JOHN !! *waves hello*

What a fantastic point !!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08/03/2006 18:11:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by Titanscape

Dear Neil, could you show this one the past thread on the subject, from about two yeras ago.

Titanscape

Bren...I'll have a look for you but can't promise I'll be able to find it...the search facility is *polite words* temperamental !!

Thanks Bren.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/03/2006 14:06:21 »
God in science is good remembering how many scientists in history believed. For something cannot come from nowhere, but God always was, He is YHWH meaning I Am That I Am. He is above time, the very source of the 4th dimension and all the others. Probably more than 4.

God is a great sourcing concept, above time and it's source and maintainer. In time as well like the universe with all the dimensions are in His hands...

First hand christians have told me my secret thoughts. A great source of comfort and hope, love and social justice and state justice.

Titanscape

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10/03/2006 14:23:09 »
Here is another similar thread:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=618
Neilep, the other one must be archived.

Titanscape

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10/03/2006 14:26:23 »
BREN...That's funny !!..I just found the exact same thread !!..well done !! http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=618

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10/03/2006 14:28:44 »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16/03/2006 17:39:30 »
rong place sorry!
« Last Edit: 16/03/2006 17:40:46 by Hadrian »

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20/03/2006 23:03:03 »
I read from some of you that it is not possible to be both a scientist and a Christian. I would venture that there is no absolute contradiction between the two belief systems.
Consider: is it possible for a scientist to prove that God does not exist? Of course not. You can't prove a negative. Therefore it is pointless for Christians to agonize over evolution as if it were a proof of God's nonexistence. On the contrary, some would argue that evolution in it's complexity and beauty is an awesome argument for God- a much better argument than that silly bit in the Bible about the seven days.

I have the pleasure to be an atheist, myself. But it would be as silly for me to try to convert all the Christians on this planet to atheism as it would be for them to attempt my conversion to Christianity. Neither thing will ever happen. Isn't this issue at heart a matter of civility, of putting down the stone instead of throwing it? I will not argue for the destruction of any religion when it is intended to serve love. When I hear Pat Robertson talk, however, I shake my head in disappointment. Let scientists do their work, and do not tell them that you know science better than they do. Let Christians follow Christ, even when they take odd detours. Progress will come through discourse rather than denial.

chris wiegard

Offline Acoustic Samurai

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25/06/2006 04:50:20 »
quote:
My view is that science will explain everything, tomorrow. Religion is what people use when then need something explained today.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21/07/2006 05:07:15 »
Oh, where to start? You can be a scientist and believe. Simply because, well, they exist. Yes there is proof! Evidence for the exitence of beings that are both scientists and believers of supernatural phenomena.

Now, I think a good scientist should be a good skeptic. So to answer the first question in the original post: no. Religions have been saying they have been right all along, they haven't, history proves that. There is no evidence for the existence of anything not of this natural world.

And besides all the logic that I can envoke. Have anybody actually read parts of these religious books? Come on, it just doesn't make sense. Contradictions galore and values that no right minded person would hold; you can't pick and choose which parts you think prove your point with the changing of the wind.

Besides all the above, science deals with the natural world, religion mostly the supernatural, they are different but related subjects. And if the supernatural can ever be proven it immediately thus becomes the realm of the natural (but don't count on it).

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08/08/2006 14:42:08 »
For some reason or other these questions about science and religion also appearunder the topic "quantum physics quotes" in the "famous scientists, doctors and inventors" branch.  An I have to reply in the same way :  I see no conflict between science and religion because science deals with causes and religion deals with reasons.  
The cause of my being around is something my parents did 9 months before I was born.  But that does not say anything about the reason or pupose of my being around.
Some people keep saying that "things happen for a reason", but I prefer to say that "things happen for a cause".  If we manage to do soemthing about this cause, we may be able to prevent some bad thing from happening.  
But because a scientist has learned tot doubt, he will be aware that his answer to religious (or philosophical) questions is only one of the possible answers, he will be less inclined to force his opinion in such matters upon others.

Offline Theory of Mind

• View Profile
    • http://beta.blogger.com/profile/09843649498819215940
« Reply #38 on: 13/08/2006 04:40:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by noden1

can a belief system in a christian god be reconciled with science.in other words is it possible to be a scientist and a christian.

Hi,
1>It's possible if the scientist only researches the natural world.
2>It's impossible if the scientist researches Mind.

I can't write scientific articles in English well. Does anybody help me?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #38 on: 13/08/2006 04:40:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums