The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Does This Drug Do ? Enoxaparin ?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Does This Drug Do ? Enoxaparin ?
« on: 02/12/2008 12:32:39 »
A friend of mine just had two injections of this stuff ,enoxaparin (Lovenox). It was given to assist this person whilst they were having or about the have a heart attack !

Can ewe tell me what it is and what it does and should there be any side effects to watch out for ?

Thanks ewe

neil
Concerened Sheep
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/12/2008 15:44:05 »
It's a type of Heparin; used to prevent blood clots.

I was given Heparin injections while waiting for the Warfarin level in my blood to reach the right level. I didn't enjoy it as I was injected in my tummy and it stung a bit

Side effects (from http://www.drugs.com/sfx/enoxaparin-side-effects.html:-

Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Enoxaparin:

Confusion; diarrhea; mild pain; nausea; pain, swelling, redness, bleeding, or bruising at the injection site.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Enoxaparin:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody, black, or tarry stools; chills; difficulty urinating; difficulty walking; fever; leg weakness; numbness; pink or red urine; swelling; tingling; unusual bleeding or bruising.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2008 00:08:17 »
Is it normal treatment during and after heart attacks to be on such a medication..I have heard bad things about heparin and kidneys etc... is it the same thing or just a distant relative..to the other drug Neil asked about?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2008 00:08:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums