The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Celestia: free planetarium / space simulation software.  (Read 4308 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Welcome to Celestia
... The free space simulation that lets you explore our universe in three dimensions. Celestia runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. [15Mb]

Unlike most planetarium software, Celestia doesn't confine you to the surface of the Earth. You can travel throughout the solar system, to any of over 100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy.
All movement in Celestia is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters down to spacecraft only a few meters across. A 'point-and-goto' interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the object you want to visit.
Celestia is expandable. Celestia comes with a large catalog of stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and spacecraft. If that's not enough, you can download dozens of easy to install add-ons with more objects.
http://www.shatters.net/celestia/index.html
« Last Edit: 05/12/2008 19:29:10 by RD »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Celestia: free planetarium / space simulation software.
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/2008 23:58:24 »
I tried it but couldn't seem to get it to do anything sensible or understandable so I deleted it

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2008 00:16:11 »
I have had a quick go on this, sees ok, but I need a bit of time to get the hang of it I think, then see just what it can do.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/12/2008 04:14:11 »
Its pretty handy.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #4 on: 06/12/2008 06:12:13 »
I recommend getting some of the high-res surface textures that are available at the Celestia Motherlode website - there's a link to it from the Celestia homepage.  The 64K Jestr Earth Mark II surface maps look great when you're low orbit and just looking down on the Earth, but it's quite a big download.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2008 07:36:51 »
I tried it but couldn't seem to get it to do anything sensible or understandable so I deleted it

I had the same problem - I use Stellarium, which although has slightly less high res. graphics is more useable (IMO).

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #6 on: 08/12/2008 17:18:58 »
Celestia is available with several different interfaces, which on Linux at least, are separate additional packages.  I have the GLUT, Gnome and KDE interfaces here and the GLUT interface appears to have no controls at all.  Try either the Gnome or KDE interfaces - I've found these to be straightforward and clear enough to use without having to resort to the FM.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 08/12/2008 17:18:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums