The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How long before we can mine minerals from other planets?  (Read 8039 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Look, here’s Mars

Opps, sorry, wrong one..... munch munch slurp chomp gulp...... Mmmmm Yummy.

Look here’s mars

Suppose Mars had a whole lot of chocolate waiting to be mined, or some mineral nearly as useful. How long do you think it would take us to develop a means of getting it dug up and shipped back to Earth?  I only ask because I seem to have run out of chocy at the moment and the shops won’t be open for while.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2008 20:42:56 by chris »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: How long before we can mine minerals from other planets?
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2008 02:51:47 »
INCREDIBLE IRREFUTABLE PROOF OF LIFE ON MARS REVEALED

The answer as to whether we are alone in the Universe has today been answered by the dramatic picture below.

"It's Life Jim, but not as we know it" were the words quoted by Leonard Nimoy in a mad and crazy cacophony of a newscast aired on the news today.

"It is without a doubt the most fundamental discovery of all time" said a passing down-and-out on his way to a hostel for his free tea and fish 'n' chips.

I stopped a cat in mid tracks and asked for it's reaction "Meow" it said..........Well !!...there you have it ladies and gentleman !!

Early indications are, is that the Martian is friendly and wishes to make contact.......

" There is more to report but I must leave to do a poo poo " I have just reported myself saying.

The Martian saying 'hello' on what appears to be a distinctly non red but BLUE landscape !!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2008 04:11:47 »
lol!
What about the Milky Way? When are we going to mine that for chocolate?
« Last Edit: 07/12/2008 04:03:10 by Chemistry4me »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2008 13:52:56 »
Martin the Martian out for a stroll ...  :)

Mystery image of 'life on Mars' 

An image of a mysterious shape on the surface of Mars, taken by Nasa spacecraft Spirit, has reignited the debate about life on the Red Planet.
A magnified version of the picture, posted on the internet, appears to some to show what resembles a human form among a crop of rocks.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7205004.stm
« Last Edit: 07/12/2008 14:20:20 by RD »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2008 16:07:40 »
It looks quite convincing at first sight but looking at it more carefully you can see quite easily that it is the shadowed side of a large wind eroded squarish block of rock visible to the right of the "man".  The leading edge of the block is visible to the right just outside the green ring which acts as a distraction against you seeing it quickly.  Once you see this it doesn't look much like a man any more  The outline of the rock is more distinguishable by texture differences against the background than colour.

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2008 16:26:04 »
I suppose you're going to tell us that the picture of Orion up in the sky is just a random array of stars and that there isn't actually a face on the `Moon.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How long before we can mine minerals from other planets?
« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2008 21:24:52 »
Mining the moon for an element called Helium-3 has been suggested as solution for the energy crisis ...

But scientists believe the real prize is trapped in the Moon's rocks. It contains large deposits of an extremely rare gas called Helium-3. Could Helium-3 be mined and used as a new source of almost inexhaustible, clean and pollution-free energy on Earth?
Whoever succeeds in transporting Helium-3 back to Earth could solve the world's energy crisis.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/broadband/tx/moonsale/index.shtml

I suspect this scheme is wholly impractical and is more to do with space agencies looking to justify their existence (funding).

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 09/12/2008 22:25:55 »
When they were prepared to put 'a man on the Moon', whatever the cost, they did it - at enormous cost.
The (real) cost per kg  of transit will be the same nowadays. To that you need to add the cost (how many kg?) of transporting extraction equipment there. H3 would have to be pretty bloody magical to make it worth while.
the 'numbers' count.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 09/12/2008 22:25:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums