The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How hygienic is too hygienic ?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Harsh M

• First timers
    • View Profile
How hygienic is too hygienic ?
« on: 08/12/2008 09:23:39 »
I read about the hygiene theory but how hygienic do we need to get to make sure that we dont cross the line. is there a benchmark for the same coz for someone washing their hands every 2 hours is too hygienic and for some it isn't.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/12/2008 00:11:12 »
I don't think anyone really knows. The whole hygiene thing is still relatively new to us humans.. I guess we have a tendency to go too far, before we pull back.

So what is too hygienic?   often new mums are told to wash their hands before and after touching the baby.. most new mums try valiantly to uphold this until they realise how impractical it is.. or their skin dries and cracks... once we reach the drying cracking stage, I'd suggest that's too far.

Offline Harsh M

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2008 06:00:10 »
hmmm.... that makes sense. guess i should use my hand sanitizer judiciously.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2008 09:58:42 »
With antibacterial soaps etc.. I think itcomes down to te point that you start killing off both good and bad bacteria and the bacteria that actually helps us fight off certain germs etc.. just by simply being on us and our body recognising them and adjust to their presence keep us from being sick from them.. so we are protected some what...

Its kinda the new stuff and tougher things we need to clean..... too clean can make you sick as your body ... is used to certain amunts and types of germs... and it adjusts but if it is always eliminated your body has to fight it off as a foreign intruder.....because it has adapted to its germs being handled for it... so its outa practice... thatsmy opinion... I may b wrong but I believe thatsa basically close....

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2008 09:58:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums