The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cheap Kindle Bookreader Project  (Read 2710 times)

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
Cheap Kindle Bookreader Project
« on: 09/12/2008 00:35:54 »
While I was in bed it occurred to me that a digital lcd phote frame used for displaying pictures costing about $20 for a 5 inch frame could be easily adapted to be a book reader like the Amazon Kindle book reader which costs a whopping $500.For that much you could buy a laptop or a desktop pc.

I see no reason why a picture LCD photoframe could not display text if it can display color pictures/jpegs.

Therefore I ask you to either spread the idea about this or make it happen.

Only a very simple basic program either linux or windows would be required to act as an operating system or even run it from a flash drive which would store both the pdf,rtf,txt,ebooks.

The idea is that a cheap disposable lcd picture photo frame could be used as a replacement for the very expensive kindle book reader.

This could finally revolutionise the reading of books due to low cost.

There are many clever,smart and intelligent people on this board who could easily implement this.

Offline psikeyhackr

• Live Long & Suffer
    • View Profile
    • GlobaLIES
« Reply #1 on: 09/12/2008 08:08:35 »
Sounds feasable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=529316&is=REG

But my problem with it is that it is too BIG, just like the Kindle.

I use an Archos PMA400 that fits in my pocket and runs the JustReader program.  I got it off ebay for less than $300.

psik

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2008 22:47:15 »
Sounds feasable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=529316&is=REG

But my problem with it is that it is too BIG, just like the Kindle.

I use an Archos PMA400 that fits in my pocket and runs the JustReader program.  I got it off ebay for less than $300.

psik

smaller digital photo frames are also available.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/12/2008 21:46:12 »
I think the point is that the kindle is reflective, rather than needing backlighting - this makes it more like reading text on paper.  Otherwise, perfectly good idea!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 23/12/2008 21:46:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums