The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Any one can give me guidance of Camera?  (Read 11310 times)

Offline emilyy

• First timers
    • View Profile
Any one can give me guidance of Camera?
« on: 09/12/2008 08:55:57 »
I want to buy camera for traveling. Anyone can help me? I want to buy a best quality and cheap digital camera. My budget is 120-150USD.

I hope the camera supports 3.0 Inch TFT LCD, 12M pixels, touch screen button and 8X Digital Zoom. Please kindly let me know the price and where I can buy. Thanks

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/12/2008 12:56:26 »
You would probably do better to visit sites that sell cameras or a photographic forum such as http://photography-forum.org/

I'm not sure you'd get all you want for the price you're prepared to pay. 12Mpx is a lot. Why do you need that? Are you going to do building-sized prints? My camera goes to 16Mpx but I never use more than 6Mpx.
« Last Edit: 09/12/2008 12:59:42 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 10/12/2008 12:47:16 »
At the lower end of your price range I would say these are your best options:-
Fuji FinePix S1000fd
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
In the middle price range:-
Nikon P60
Fuji FinePix S8100fd
At the very top of your price range:-
Nikon Coolpix P5100
Beyond your price range:-
Nikon Coolpix P80
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC H50
Panasonic DMC-FZ28
Leica V-Lux 1

As Doc Beaver said, 12mp really isnít necessary for typical photography. Also the digital zoom is not a good idea. These zooms only reduce the number of pixels in your photo and stretch it back to size. In effect, a 12mp shot at 2x zoom will result in a 6mp shot. Always opt for optical zoom to maintain picture quality. Also choose a camera with an optical or electronic viewfinder. They are far better than digital screen finders.

I would suggest the Nikon P60 is the best for ease of use and size. Itís an 8.1mp with 5x optical zoom with vibration reduction.

If you want to spend a little more than your budget, go for the Nikon P80 10mp & 18x optical zoom. UK price is about £230

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2008 14:01:42 »
Want a bet that someone with a similar IP address to Emily will post a link to a camera which will exactly match her demanding technical specifications, including the too-good-to-be-true low price of 12M pixels for under £100.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2008 14:07:39 by RD »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/12/2008 14:03:09 »
Just in time for xmas, too, eh?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 10/12/2008 14:19:34 »
Want a bet that someone with a similar IP address to Emily will post a link to a camera which will exactly match her demanding technical specifications, including the too-good-to-be-true low price of 12M pixels for under £100.

If you are right, and you could well be, then I would suggest anyone reading it should take note of this
As Doc Beaver said, 12mp really isn't necessary for typical photography. Also the digital zoom is not a good idea. These zooms only reduce the number of pixels in your photo and stretch it back to size. In effect, a 12mp shot at 2x zoom will result in a 6mp shot. Always opt for optical zoom to maintain picture quality. Also choose a camera with an optical or electronic viewfinder. They are far better than digital screen finders.

ie, a 12mp camera used at 8x digital zoom will result in a picture quality of 1.5mp!!!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/12/2008 15:53:10 »
The glare which can make the "digital" (LCD) viewfinders difficult to see can be reduced with little pop-out shades like this one ...

source

available in silver or black and in different sizes (I think they stick on).
Reminds me of the viewfinder on an old medium-format TLR I used to have.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2008 16:08:22 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2008 16:09:00 »
Eee gads, yes I remember the old Mamya, Yashica, Broinca and so on. I had a Kodak TLR many moons ago.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/12/2008 16:25:30 »
Oooh, A Rolleiflex. You don't see many of those around.

paul.fr

« Reply #9 on: 11/12/2008 08:17:23 »
according to this post: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=18542.msg207951#msg207951

Emilyy only bought a new camera 2 weeks ago, not only that, but she supplied a spammy advert to go with her post!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/12/2008 08:19:16 »
Eee gads, yes I remember the old Mamya, Yashica, Broinca and so on. I had a Kodak TLR many moons ago.

Oooh! I've got something similar to this. No idea what make though. Yashica, maybe?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/12/2008 08:22:55 »
Since we're talking about cameras, perhaps someone can help with my problem. We have a Nikon D40x and a 55-200mm telephoto lens. All worked fine intially, but now the auto-focus on the lens doesn't work. I've reset the camera, made sure that both the camera and lens are set to "AF", made sure that the lens is correctly mounted, but all to no avail. Any ideas?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/12/2008 08:42:53 »
If you've fitted a linear polarising filter, rather than the circular* type, this can cause the auto focus to fail.

There are two main types of polarisation: linear polarisation (which is what you get with sunglasses), and circular polarisation...If you have auto focus on your camera -- and I'm pretty sure all modern cameras do -- then you need to get a circular polarising filter if you want to keep the ability to auto focus whilst using the polarising filter. A linear polarising filter stops auto focus from working properly.
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-169086.html

[*Circular referrers to the type of polarisation, not the shape of the filter, the word "circular" is usually written on the rim of the filter as linear and circular polarising filters otherwise look identical. Unfortunately the circular type are more expensive].
« Last Edit: 11/12/2008 08:52:12 by RD »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11/12/2008 08:59:18 »
Thanks RD, that's a new thought - I'll check the filter. However, the AF worked from the start and then faltered without changing any of the mechanisms, which may mean that the filter is not the problem.....

Hmmn...

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #14 on: 11/12/2008 09:15:28 »
If you look on eBay, you will invariably find the odd few AF lens for sale stating that the AF function does not work. I have had no problems with my AF lens so I can't speak from experience, but I think once the AF packs in it is gone for good and not worth the cost of repair.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #15 on: 16/12/2008 10:30:30 »
DONGgggg DONGgggg DONGgggg

My Lords, Ladies & gentlemen, Spam is served.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16/12/2008 10:32:59 »
Hi, emilyy,

i have bought a digital camera last month from china spammy link removed , the feature nearly the same as you need , i tell you turth , the quality of the camera is just so so, but they looks very nice and price is reasonable. maybe you can get some information. the site is

RD! You must be psychic!
« Last Edit: 16/12/2008 11:22:22 by BenV »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #17 on: 16/12/2008 12:34:14 »
Well I'm blessed, the spammy link has gone, I wonder why?

I had a look at the site. WOW! what a load of not-so-cheap imitation, rip-off rubbish. Still, I suppose someone must buy the tripe.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 16/12/2008 12:34:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums