The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is it with tattoos?  (Read 14500 times)

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« on: 10/12/2008 13:01:55 »
It seems to me that there is an increasing number of tattoos around, especially with the girls/ladies. They seem to be something of a fashion statement, with ever more elaborate designs.

Now, call me a FOG and a prude, but I don't think that they are particularly attractive. I'm sure that there are many in this forum who have them, so perhaps you could let me know what the incentive is? What do others think of them? Do you have one that you wished that you hadn't? Are you thinking about having one? What, and where  [:0]?

I'm not trying to belittle anyone who has one (or six) - it's just so far outside of my own life-scope (?) that I thought that I would find out a little more......

What do you think?

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #1 on: 10/12/2008 13:21:51 »
I do worry about 'fashionable' tattoos, it's not as if you can wash them off when you're done.

Personally, I have one tattoo and I intend to have more, but I like to think about it for several years before I would even consider going under the needle.  This way, if I'm still as keen on a design or idea after 5 years, I'll be happy.

A friend of mine has several small tattoos that remind him of certain people or times in his life (including at least one where someone he cared for deeply drew on him in biro, and he liked it so much he had it tattooed!).

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #2 on: 10/12/2008 13:29:51 »
This is a remarkable Willie tattoo  :)

http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=4550

I did hear that the late actor Oliver Reed had the other kind of willie tattoo, that's gotta hurt.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2008 14:15:01 by RD »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2008 13:53:46 »
There is also a trend for transfer tattoos - they come with cereals, sweets etc, and target the under 10's (it appears, at least). What do you think of those?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #4 on: 10/12/2008 14:23:30 »
They do nothing whatsoever for a bowl of corn flakes!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #5 on: 10/12/2008 14:24:03 »
We used to get those stick-on tattoos when I was a kid and they didn't influence me.

blakestyger

What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #6 on: 10/12/2008 15:46:17 »
As willie tatoos have now been raised, I did hear some years ago of a man tell of a friend of his who had had the word Ludo tatooed on his member. "Oh no" said a woman who knew him, "It's Llandudno".

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2008 20:40:37 »
An old boyfriend of mine had thumper rabbit tattooed on his bum. I must admit he was very enthusiastic.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #8 on: 10/12/2008 21:20:34 »
LOL,.,,LOL.. The energizer bunny! LOL..

Actually I have contemplated a tattoo but cannot have one at this time because of possibility of infection....

But I would like to have a small one on my ankle or some such place...

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #9 on: 10/12/2008 23:16:19 »
As a (former) tattoo artist I can probably answer some of your questions.

You are correct in the last 20years or so tattoos have moved further away from their roots than ever before.
In tribal cultures tattoos are a symbol of manhood, a rite of passage and/or a symbol of status. A person has to 'earn' them and they are deeply significant.

Even in our 'modern' society they were symbols of travellers (sailors) or tramps, and they pretty much stayed in the 'lower echelons' of life for many many years, still a significant symbol to some.

Until about the mid 1980's they remained the bastion of sailors, prisoner and bikies. Then everyone was getting one for everything from teenagers to forty year old housewives.

Personally I have refused tattoo some people and some images. I dislike tattooing on the lower back of teen girls, I do not tattoo cartoon characters and I refuse to tattoo partners names (children yes, not partners) I also do not (and I am not alone) tattoo Chinese characters. Not only because I don't know Chinese, but because I think there's nothing worse than a Chinese symbol on a Caucasian *shudder*
I also send people away (well the young ones) They come into the shop show me their design and I give them a booking for three or four weeks time. If they come back great and I know they are serious.. if not then it's not on my conscience.

Tattoos are an art form.. and, like all art forms, they will have their lovers and their leavers. They are personal and need to be thought about, they are permanent and need to be thought about carefully.
Incentives are as wide and varied as the people and the tattoos. More often than not a tattoo is a memory of someone or some event. Young girls like the idea of getting a tattoo and for many of them it's still a 'rite of passage' into adulthood. Though their designs might leave a lot to be desired the ideology behind their reasons are actually quite traditional (even if they don't realise themselves). They do often find a nice design and think it looks great. In many cases it does, but then almost anything looks great an lovely young supple skin... we have to remind them that one day they and their tattoo will get old, so think about placement.

Even though I spent years in the industry I have only two tattoos myself. Both memories of people whom I have lost. I have been thinking about getting another for my children. The design and spot is done. I have spent the last five or six weeks with it 'drawn' on so I can see what it looks like and how it works with my usual style... I'll be getting it done probably after Christmas. That will be number three for me and probably the last. (unless there is a dramatic change in events)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #10 on: 11/12/2008 04:47:39 »
That is cool that you are an artist... I bet it is interesting seing all the different tattoos and styles of different tattooists!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #11 on: 11/12/2008 07:47:45 »
As willie tatoos have now been raised, I did hear some years ago of a man tell of a friend of his who had had the word Ludo tatooed on his member. "Oh no" said a woman who knew him, "It's Llandudno".

There's a coincidence! It looks like I have "Loch" on mine, when in actual fact it's "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"

(As an aside) I did actually stay in Llanfairfechan during my masters degree which is not too far from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (or Llanfair PG as it is more usually known). The neighbouring villges are ABERGWYNGREGYN, PENMAENMAWR & DWYGYFYLCHI. I know how to say "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch", but no idea about DWYGYFYLCHI. Any takers?

« Last Edit: 11/12/2008 07:59:23 by dentstudent »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #12 on: 11/12/2008 08:00:31 »
We used to get those stick-on tattoos when I was a kid and they didn't influence me.

He looks as though a bird has done something nasty on him.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #13 on: 11/12/2008 08:05:45 »
Thanks for your thoughts JnA, very interesting. I wonder how many other tattoo artists are as accommodating or provide a "cooling off" period before they actually do the tattoo. There was a guy whom I worked with during college, and he had a cross done on his arm. But not a small one or even at all attractive - just a black cross perhaps 15 cm X 5 cm. It was (IMO) awful, and, of course, he has it forever. I think that he only had it as a rite of passage thing too, but (again IMO) an ill considered one.

paul.fr

What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #14 on: 11/12/2008 08:08:05 »
I hate tattoos on women (an men, come to think of it) especially this type:

tattooing on the lower back of teen girls

I would never date a someone who had tattoos that were obvious, or on show.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #15 on: 11/12/2008 09:39:07 »
The UK comedian Dave Gorman's driving-licence tattoo is hilarious...

After a very drunken night in Austin, Texas, I woke up the next day with a tattoo. It's a picture of a Texan driving licence with what's meant to be my face and my details. Tattooed onto my left arm. I was so frustrated with being asked for ID when I went into any bar in Austin that, having got into a bar, I got incredibly drunk. Then got the tattoo.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/my-life-in-travel-dave-gorman-571451.html

Dave has a Flickr account, but I don't think he has included a photo of his tattoo.   

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #16 on: 11/12/2008 11:59:31 »
I remember the case of British Marines and American GIs having a bit of a row(!) about who was best. When 1 of the GIs regained consciousness he'd had a British Flag tattooed on his forehead  :D

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #17 on: 11/12/2008 17:31:56 »
I don't like tattoos on women and would never consider getting one, but to each his own.  I don't mind them on men as long as they're not covered in them.

Offline Kenwood04

• View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #18 on: 11/12/2008 18:10:15 »
I cant stand them either.  But I was on a course today, and one of the girls had one around her wrist, with her sons name on it, and his date of birth, again not my cup of tea at all, but, he is little chap who will not be long in the world, and so I can understand the reason for the tattoo.

Some tatoos are amazingly clever, but I wonder what they look like when you are eighty and the skin is saggy and baggy.  Ugh!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #19 on: 11/12/2008 22:49:13 »

Some tatoos are amazingly clever, but I wonder what they look like when you are eighty and the skin is saggy and baggy.  Ugh!

that's why placement is so important (IMO) Of course the tattoo ages and can do any number of things like run, fade and/or throw ink.. but aging skin will sag and droop and wrinkle and the ink will follow it.. in 50 years there'll be nursing homes full of tattooed men and women, would be interesting to see them sitting there playing bingo on their old pictures of lost loves, thoughts, feelings...

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #20 on: 12/12/2008 00:16:45 »
I think tattoos are very similar to self harm...

Self-injury (SI) or self-harm (SH) is deliberate injury inflicted by a person upon their own body without suicidal intent. Some scholars use more technical definitions related to specific aspects of this behaviour. These acts may be aimed at relieving otherwise unbearable emotions, and/or sensations of unreality and numbness. The illness is listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) as a symptom of borderline personality disorder and depressive disorders. It is sometimes associated with mental illness, a history of trauma and abuse including emotional abuse, sexual abuse, eating disorders, or mental traits such as low self-esteem or perfectionism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_harm

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #21 on: 12/12/2008 00:33:59 »
"Tattoos are cool"

I like to utter that phrase when I'm around mums and kids.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #22 on: 12/12/2008 00:36:10 »
Amy Winehouse was forced to cover up a topless tattoo by Grammy bosses who were scared she'd offend US audiences.

The Rehab singer used her trademark black eyeliner to disguise the breasts of a nude girl tattooed on her arm as she performed via satellite link at the Grammys.

"Amy drew a little black bikini top on the large topless femle tattoo on her arm, so as not to offend any of America's puritanical viewers," a source told the Daily Telegraph.

The 24-year-old scooped five awards at the music ceremony after being refused a US visa for past indiscretions.

"After the show, the makeshift top was washed off."

Amy is being treated for substance abuse after being filmed allegedly using crack cocaine last month.

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?in_article_id=99228&in_page_id=7
« Last Edit: 12/12/2008 00:49:24 by RD »

paul.fr

What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #23 on: 18/12/2008 13:24:28 »
.Some tat's say it all

paul.fr

What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #24 on: 18/12/2008 13:29:10 »
DECEMBER 4--Meet Michael Campbell, before and after. The Colorado man has a long rap sheet and prison history, though you probably could have guessed that based on the below mug shots. In the "before" photos, Campbell is seen following a 2003 theft arrest in Jefferson County, Colorado. The "after" photos were snapped about six weeks ago, when Campbell was again popped and jailed at the Jefferson County lockup. Though he has been in and out of custody between 2003 and 2008, Campbell, 33, apparently used his infrequent time on the street to aggressively supplement his facial and neck art. It is unclear, however, why his ears, to date, have been left untouched. But that polka-dotted bow tie (at least we think it's a bow tie) was a wonderful addition.

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is it with tattoos?
« Reply #24 on: 18/12/2008 13:29:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums