The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the longest it can take for a scab to heal?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline SerenaSky

• First timers
    • View Profile
I've picked my entire bottom lip (about 2 inches in length, and 1 inch in width - very full I know) off every day for the past 10 years. It's gross and I need to stop, but every time I decide to, a huge crusty scab forms. The longest I have left it alone was 3 weeks, and it still had not fallen off.

I have about 6 weeks at home for winter break! I'm hoping to solve the problem in this time... but is it possible for healing to take several months? Or even up to a year?

I would really appreciate any thoughts or knowledge regarding this topic, especially since I am not a science person.

Thanks guys,

S

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What's the longest it can take for a scab to heal?
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2008 21:58:58 »
This may be relevant ...

Dermatillomania (also known as compulsive skin picking or CSP) is an impulse control disorder and form of self-injury characterized by the repeated urge to pick at one's own skin, often to the extent that damage is caused. Dermatillomania may be related to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD)... Sufferers of dermatillomania find skin picking to be stress relieving or gratifying, though it can still be as physically painful as it would be for a non-skin picker... Aware of the damage they are inflicting, many sufferers feel and recognize a need to stop the behavior but are physically and mentally unable to do so without aid. Additionally, the behavior's addict-like characteristics are very similar to the expression of trichotillomania, or the compulsive pulling of hair from the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania
« Last Edit: 12/12/2008 22:01:08 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

What's the longest it can take for a scab to heal?
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2008 21:58:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums