The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is holding back electric car technology?  (Read 143940 times)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
What is holding back electric car technology?
« Reply #250 on: 25/03/2011 09:48:06 »
Nicholi Tesla  made it work a long time ago. read up on tesla, you'll see

What when we build a time machine?
BTW, what was he supposed to have done exactly (regarding electric cars)?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 25/03/2011 10:51:06 »
Water powered locomotives were used on the London underground in the nineteeth century, they built up a good head of super heated water and racked out the fire.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 25/03/2011 17:23:43 »
Water powered locomotives were used on the London underground in the nineteeth century, they built up a good head of super heated water and racked out the fire.

Some of them didn't even have a fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 25/03/2011 19:03:52 »
Nicholi Tesla  made it work a long time ago. read up on tesla, you'll see

What when we build a time machine?
BTW, what was he supposed to have done exactly (regarding electric cars)?

Funnily enough, when I was in the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) replacing the registration certificate for Mrs G's car that she had obviously lost despite her spurious claims to the contrary, a young gent in front of me was pontificating to the DMV lady about his Porsche that had some sort of Tesla magic battery or something. He seemed to be working for an outfit in these parts that was "developing" this technology (that would not surprise me, because there are a lot of loonies around here.)

I was briefly tempted to buttonhole him to enquire what he was rabbiting on about, but I decided nothing good would come of it. Perhaps there is a connection here.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 28/03/2011 13:40:30 »
Geezer - I dunno if this has cropped up in the thread before (and 11 pages I am not gonna check) and I apologize if it has - but the Tesla is now also a make of electric sports car (currently based on Lotus body).  Is it possible he was talking about a conversion job?  Top Gear reviewed the Tesla and were favourable impressed with speed and handling - but the recharge time and reliability were dreadful.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

And with the reliability and short life demonstrated I definitely would not be using a Tesla to drive to a remote ski-lodge as the opening page of the website shows.

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 28/03/2011 15:06:58 »
Without reading through all of the above, is there any advancement on Graphene Battery technologies? I've read that charging times on these could be cut down to minutes, comparable to filling up at a petrol station.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 28/03/2011 17:55:15 »
Geezer - I dunno if this has cropped up in the thread before (and 11 pages I am not gonna check) and I apologize if it has - but the Tesla is now also a make of electric sports car (currently based on Lotus body).  Is it possible he was talking about a conversion job?  Top Gear reviewed the Tesla and were favourable impressed with speed and handling - but the recharge time and reliability were dreadful.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

And with the reliability and short life demonstrated I definitely would not be using a Tesla to drive to a remote ski-lodge as the opening page of the website shows.

Thanks Matt. Yes, I think the Tesla has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

I'm pretty sure this chap was talking about some kind of energy storage device though. However, I also got the impression he was talking a lot of technobabble!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 24/04/2011 00:40:57 »
Another thing that might hold back the electric car is taxation.

Apparently, the State of Washington is so strapped for cash that it's considering imposing a special tax on electric cars to compensate for the revenue it won't get from the tax on gasoline!

Offline teragram

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 24/04/2011 13:30:25 »

Apparently, the State of Washington is so strapped for cash that it's considering imposing a special tax on electric cars to compensate for the revenue it won't get from the tax on gasoline!

That's bad news. Incidentally, to resurrect old friend Tesla, over 300 miles on a single charge?!!!!

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/313-miles-1-charge

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #259 on: 24/04/2011 13:56:14 »

FGS!! [:(!]

In any case I can't imagine there are that many BEVs in Washington State!
How much could they sensibly raise anyway?

Incidentally, to resurrect old friend Tesla, over 300 miles on a single charge?!!!!

Much as I think the name 'Tesla' is a cool name for an electric sports car, I do wonder if it will lead to the gullible masses thinking there is some 'magic' Tesla-engine now available (and amazingly no longer hushed up by Dark world powers!).

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 21/08/2011 18:44:26 »
Not surprising.
I think it started running low on juice a couple of years ago, after the release was delayed by half a decade, and the price started shooting through the roof.

$41,000????
Although there is a $7500 government rebate, bringing it down to $33,500

And, I think the 35 mile range was disappointing for many people.  Plus 40 MPG drops it to the low end for many hybrids and fuel efficient vehicles.

Toyota hits around 45 mpg, with some people getting nearly 50 mpg, and has nearly a decade of experience on GM. 

The Toyota plug-in sounds disappointing with a 13 mile range.  Perhaps this will push some people who were waiting for the Toyota plug-in back towards the GM.  But, the Toyota plug-in may come in over $10,000 less than the GM car, and still get an additional 5 mpg for those long highway drives.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 21/08/2011 19:02:33 »
When it comes to EVs, I don't think the vehicle manufacturer has too much to do with it. They are all hamstrung by the same limitations in current(!) battery technology.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 22/08/2011 21:38:58 »
Wow! That looks really interesting. Nice link PC.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 25/08/2011 23:41:44 »
On a more cheerful note:

"It's Time To Kill The Electric Car, Drive A Stake Through Its Heart And Burn The Corpse"

http://seekingalpha.com/article/289828-it-s-time-to-kill-the-electric-car-drive-a-stake-through-its-heart-and-burn-the-corpse?source=yahoo

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #266 on: 26/08/2011 13:11:06 »
Oh, ever the optimist eh Geezer!

Well, handily I've got the solution right here!
(Read it quick though as it's gone in 7 days...[quick, where are the conspiracy theorists?])

A new generation of multitalented materials could herald the end of the battery as we know it

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 27/08/2011 06:33:51 »
Oh, ever the optimist eh Geezer!

Well, handily I've got the solution right here!
(Read it quick though as it's gone in 7 days...[quick, where are the conspiracy theorists?])

A new generation of multitalented materials could herald the end of the battery as we know it

Er, well, wake me up in ten or so years and we'll see how they are coming along.

Offline Matthew L

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 27/08/2011 21:49:43 »
You should all read Thomas Pynchon's novel Against the Day. Evil forces in that book suppress Tesla's invention of free energy, as the plutocrats wish to profit.  I just think that currently it is still difficult to build a good working car that runs purely on electricity. 
« Last Edit: 28/08/2011 01:47:12 by Matthew L »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #269 on: 28/08/2011 16:25:00 »
You should all read Thomas Pynchon's novel Against the Day. Evil forces in that book suppress Tesla's invention of free energy, as the plutocrats wish to profit.

Just to make clarify (and here I hope the word 'novel', ie. fictional, should be a clue) - In reality, no one has ever suppressed any of Tesla's work, and certainly no 'evil forces'.
If contributors want to discuss some of Tesla's more outlandish ideas (I think from mostly later on in his life) - ie. those that rightly didn't make it into mainstream science, the -New Theories- board is the place to do it. ... Thanks!

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #270 on: 28/08/2011 16:44:37 »
On a more cheerful note:
"It's Time To Kill The Electric Car, Drive A Stake Through Its Heart And Burn The Corpse"

This guy talks a lot of sense in his article and the table comparing the battery capacity of full BEV (Leaf with 24kWh capacity) versus hybrids (old Prius with only 1.5kWh) does make a clear point about how impractical it would be to supply enough rare metals for the Li-ion batteries worldwide.

Although, not truly on-topic I would like to mention a third-way solution (of sorts):
According to Toyota spokesman John Hanson, the Prius PHEV only uses about 3.8 kWh of the battery's 5.2-kWh capacity (for battery longevity)

Around 5kWh (or potentially less), although still probably far beyond what can be mined economically, does seem to suggest that something like the Volt (16kWh capacity) is heavy on resources considering the relatively low efficiency gains.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 28/08/2011 17:21:38 »
He also makes a great point about Moore's law and how there is no similar law that applies to battery technology. That's not to say there will not be some amazing breakthrough next week, but there is no historical trend that implies there will.

Post by qazibasit click to view.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 29/08/2011 10:54:35 »
Shrunk
real reason is no speed and holding that much volts and current would cost too much, u cant store AC current so u have to store it in DC and batteries cost too much with a less life, just see ur laptops battery ;).

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #273 on: 30/08/2011 12:46:28 »
I find it an odd idea that the masses would believe Moore's law applies to anything other than computing power.  Although, I suppose that the fact of the matter is that as processors have become so embedded in many of our more traditional technologies that there has been a sort of knock-on effect (Moore's law by proxy if you prefer), where the ability of this hidden intelligence to wring performance, efficiency and other positive attributes out of our machines has given the impression of a continuous ever-quickening rate of improvement - independent of the actual cause.

The ability to model our designs using powerful computers (especially in the last decade), has probably helped extenuate the myth of these improvements are part of an unbounded trend across all technologies.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 11/09/2011 04:16:56 »
Ee by gum, theyl be trooble down't mill if this catches on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14852073

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #274 on: 11/09/2011 04:16:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums