The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is holding back electric car technology?  (Read 144460 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is holding back electric car technology?
« Reply #325 on: 14/07/2012 22:49:26 »
The carbon battery sounds interesting. 

Probably not in the near future for cars, but there is also work in liquid metal, or molten metal batteries for commercial applications.

http://www.technologyreview.com/article/412190/tr10-liquid-battery/
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-04/molten-metal-batteries-could-store-extra-juice-power-grid
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/02/14/Liquid-molten-batteries-as-energy-aid/UPI-52301329262339/

Perhaps one could devise a liquid metal battery for very low melting point metals such as Mercury, Tin, Bismuth, and etc.

Actually, Sodium, Lithium, and Potassium might be interesting targets for a low temperature liquid metal battery.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 16/07/2012 02:16:33 »
I think the liquid metal stuff is much better for fixed applications.

Offline questioner

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 20/08/2012 13:14:51 »
The oil companies!

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 18/03/2015 15:29:37 »
Not quite enough fast charging points, to properly cover the whole country, and not enough people with electric cars, so that people get to find out how good they are!

Offline crimsonknight3

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 28/10/2016 00:42:32 »
If I could afford one, I would definately own a Tesla.... Quite a few motorway service stations I have visited have specifically tesla charging points, if not then typcial generic electric car charging points... I'm never too far from a motor way it seems... From what I have seen recently though, electric car price has definately been coming down quite nicely, but reliablity and longevity still seem to be an issue, although with much thanks to elon musk it does appear that battery technology is improving vastly on 5-10 years ago

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 28/10/2016 04:47:27 »
Convenience (or rather, lack of). I'm very impressed with the performance and capabilities of current Teslas but as work involves 200 - 300 miles per day I'd have to spend an extra hour each day (more in cold weather) waiting for the beast to recharge at a service station, and plan every trip via recharging points.  Arriving near-empty is not a viable option.

An electric bus, on the other hand, makes good sense, as would a better hybrid car, using an on-board gas turbine to recharge the battery on the move or whilst I'm actually at my destination. Problem with that, of course, is you can't use unreliable electricity directly, but it does at least guarantee that you burn the carbon or hydrogen fuel with optimum efficiency. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #330 on: 28/10/2016 04:47:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums