The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If hydrogen peroxide is neurotoxic, does this mean bottle blondes are dumb?  (Read 3841 times)

Paul Anderson

Paul Anderson  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Chris and team,

I was searching your site for information on allergies as we seem to be getting a lot more folk allergic to nuts, and in the process went on to read the 'Drug reverses Alzheimers' article in which it mentions...

"The plaque deposits are known to produce neurotoxic chemicals like hydrogen peroxide, so their removal improves local neuronal function, say the researchers."

I think I have heard that women bleach their hair white with hydrogen peroxide. They must in the process get some on their scalp, and
this would presumably be absorbed into the scalp. Is this where we get the expression "dumb blonde" and all the jokes about blondes? Does this
give weight to what I have thought might be a danger for folk who dye their hair? I doubt if folk can dye their hair and not have some of the stuff touch their scalp.

I seem to vaguely remember having hydrogen peroxide for putting on a wound or something, but I can't remember clearly why we had
it. You see, it's affecting me already! If I don't send this email
immediately I'll forget what I'm doing!

Besides, I have to get ready for work.

I enjoy your podcasts. I just wish I had all day to read all your articles. I suppose I should invest in a blackberry with wireless internet, so I could read your articles on the bus to/from work, and during my mealbreaks at work.

Regards

Paul

NZ

What do you think?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Only if they keep their brains outside their heads or their bleach inside it.
In any event, not all blondes are "suicide blonds" ie dyed by their own hand

lyner

dyed by their own hand
I like it.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Glad someone did.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Peroxide blonds are no dumber than the average blond.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Peroxide blonds are no dumber than the average blond.

Grrrrr!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums