The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: WHY Operate on Varicose Veins?  (Read 101718 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
WHY Operate on Varicose Veins?
« Reply #125 on: 05/04/2009 20:39:17 »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 05/04/2009 23:56:34 »
Still playing with paintshop pro I see.

Alun had a large varicose vein on his calf muscle, now he don't! So Now you see it now you don't.

Why not turn his whole leg green and say he has Hulkivitis?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 06/04/2009 14:46:45 »
Admittedly not as many petechiae as in this photo posted in January, but vasculitis can be relapsing remitting.

If you and/or Alun are interested in an accurate diagnosis you could post the images in this thread on a teledermatology website,
 (if you do I suggest you mask out the word “vasculitis” from the photo for an unbiased opinion).
« Last Edit: 06/04/2009 14:52:33 by RD »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 06/04/2009 17:07:28 »
Please explain why the photograph showing this condition on the right is not "digitally enhanced" and why you have enhanced the photograph of Alun's leg for comparison?

So you expect me to send in your doctored ohotograph version of Alun's leg for an analysis? Do me a favour :)

Where the varicose veins have been pulled back to level with the skin surface, there is going to be discolouration for many months to follow, eventually this will fade and the skin tone will become more natural. Already commented upon by Alun's own family, who see the chnages taking place with the naked eye.

What you should be asking is why Alun no longer requires surgery on a varicose vein that has been there for many years and now clearly has vanished. But this would take courage to go against so many people earning huge amounts of money, conducting clearly redundent surgery. Instead of trying to cloud this important issue try to stay focused on what this thread is showing.

Admittedly not as many petechiae as in this photo posted in January, but vasculitis can be relapsing remitting.

If you and/or Alun are interested in an accurate diagnosis you could post the images in this thread on a teledermatology website,
 (if you do I suggest you mask out the word “vasculitis” from the photo for an unbiased opinion).

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 09/04/2009 16:51:13 »
...trying to cloud this important issue try to stay focused on what this thread is showing.  

No obfuscation of my part.
If Alun's varices have improved this could be explained by remission of the vasculopathic process which caused them, (i.e. vasculitis or pseudovasculitis). So determining if he has a vasculopathic condition which spontaneously remits is relevant to your assertion that IBT has caused an improvement.

So you expect me to send in your doctored ohotograph version of Alun's leg for an analysis? Do me a favour :)

If you don't fancy including my contrast enhanced images in a submission to a teledermatology site, then just post your own …

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=18961.msg217103#msg217103

[ I can almost taste the Glenlivet :)
« Last Edit: 09/04/2009 16:59:25 by RD »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 09/04/2009 18:21:56 »
RD, This is not a single case we are observing, I have seen this revrsal of varicose veins and oedema using IBT far too many times for it to be a coincidence.

I have also observed the darkened skin where the veins have returned to normal size, and it looks like a bruising rather than a problem with peripheral veins and arteries.

I did explain that when the skin is stretched due to the veins expanding over many years the skin becomes tanned the same as the rest of the legs. When this skin contracts, the colour of it appears to darken. Bit like a balloon changes colour when it is inflated and deflated. Alun has visited his consultant and gp on numerous occasions. No one other than you appears to be indicating vasculitis.

Odd how it spontaniously reverses. I think Alun was in his early teens when these problems arose. He is now 34. Either way, be it the obvious varicosed veins or your vasculitis or Incredible Hulkivitis for that matter these photographs show a clear improvement that was predicted prior to tilting the bed and has been observed by others who have tilted their own beds.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 30/03/2010 09:39:53 »
AKF
The heart rate decreases by 10-12 beats per minute on IBT. Yet circulation is improved. So if the heart beats less and circulation increases how do you account for that?

You would expect the heart rate to decrease when you are not standing. There is less work for it to do. The blood pressure at the interfaces in the kidneys will also be affected by the attitude of the body. How do either of these facts justify your new model of the body?

Did your friendly Proff tell you that the 'pulses of solutes' he detected at the kidneys were, in any way, related to breathing rate? I hate to ask this but have you actually calculated (???) the change in density of the blood as it goes through the lungs due to evaporation? Surely the actual amount would be highly relevant to whether or not you were right in your theory. Perhaps that would be a bit too like hard fact for your liking.
Needless to say, the effect on circulation to the head would be in the opposite direction as the heart would need to be pumping more dense blood upwards. Did you not think it through?

Ventilatory changes of pulmonary capillary blood volume assessed by arterial density
Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol 61, Issue 5 1724-1731, Copyright © 1986 by American Physiological Society

ARTICLES
Ventilatory changes of pulmonary capillary blood volume assessed by arterial density
J. S. Lee and L. P. Lee

By use of an improved density measuring system, we found that the gravimetric density of arterial blood of dogs fluctuates at the same frequency as the spontaneous or mechanical ventilation. Similar density fluctuations were observed in the blood leaving isolated, perfused lobes of dogs that were ventilated cyclicly. Employing an analysis that balanced the erythrocyte and plasma flows through distensible capillaries containing blood with a tube hematocrit lower than the hematocrit in large blood vessels, we derived a relationship to estimate from the density fluctuation the change in pulmonary capillary blood volume (Vc). For mechanical ventilation, the maximum change in density over one ventilation cycle increased from 0.084 +/- 0.01 to 0.47 +/- 0.05 (SE) g/l as the frequency decreased from 29 to 6 cycles/min. These density changes were estimated to be the result of an 1-16% change in Vc. A larger tidal volume for the mechanical ventilation led to a larger density fluctuation. The maximum density change of spontaneous respiration of 6 cycles/min was one-sixth of the mechanical case, indicating a much smaller change in Vc during spontaneous respiration. When the airway flow resistance was increased for spontaneous respiration, larger density fluctuations were observed.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 29/04/2010 08:53:23 »
AKF
The heart rate decreases by 10-12 beats per minute on IBT. Yet circulation is improved. So if the heart beats less and circulation increases how do you account for that?

You would expect the heart rate to decrease when you are not standing. There is less work for it to do. The blood pressure at the interfaces in the kidneys will also be affected by the attitude of the body. How do either of these facts justify your new model of the body?

Did your friendly Proff tell you that the 'pulses of solutes' he detected at the kidneys were, in any way, related to breathing rate? I hate to ask this but have you actually calculated (???) the change in density of the blood as it goes through the lungs due to evaporation? Surely the actual amount would be highly relevant to whether or not you were right in your theory. Perhaps that would be a bit too like hard fact for your liking.
Needless to say, the effect on circulation to the head would be in the opposite direction as the heart would need to be pumping more dense blood upwards. Did you not think it through?

As you say one would expect the heart rate to decrease when not standing. IBT is comparible to standing because the dircetion of gravity is aligned the same as standing, without the pressure on the feet and tension on the muscles.

So why does the heart rate differ sleeping inclined compared to sleeping horizontal?. Not just in humans but in sleeping dogs also placed on an angle?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 30/08/2011 10:48:33 »

« Last Edit: 30/08/2011 11:01:38 by RD »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: WHY Operate on Varicose Veins?
« Reply #134 on: 21/12/2012 10:53:03 »
The art of Distraction is a very useful skill R.D.  What has this got to do with Alun's Legs, who I might add has had zero symptoms or indeed a diagnosis of vasculitis prior to or since your last post. Why are you trying to discourage people from avoiding unnecessary, costly and more often than not, ineffective surgery?  Who is earning a fortune from this? Certainly not me !

For those of you reading this that need an understanding of vasculitis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasculitis
« Last Edit: 21/12/2012 11:37:27 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 21/12/2012 13:53:00 »
 What has this got to do with Alun's Legs

IMO that medscape image of vasculitis has features similar to those of Alun's legs, (but more extreme) ...

Combined with the other comparison that makes two different examples of vasculitis which have patterns in common with Alun's legs, (including the petechiae makes three).

... who I might add has had zero symptoms or indeed a diagnosis of vasculitis prior to or since your last post.

Vasculitis can be intermittent, it can relapse and remit of it’s own accord*.
If an inert "therapy" was being applied at the time of spontaneous remission it could be mistaken for an effective treatment when it isn’t.

[ * although there can be exogenous triggers like cold weather ]

Why are you trying to discourage people from avoiding unnecessary, costly and more often than not, ineffective surgery?

I’ve neither encouraged or discouraged varicose vein surgery.

The only thing I’ve encouraged in this thread is that Alun consults a doctor who is familiar with vasculitis / pseudovasculitis , perhaps via teledermatology.
« Last Edit: 23/12/2012 17:01:48 by RD »

Offline Eileencook

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 01/10/2016 21:57:51 »
I've been using this Venorid serum for about 2 months. I have noticed the varicose veins becoming somewhat smaller and the spider veins diminishing. Very low cost treatment in my point of view. thanks!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 02/10/2016 03:25:45 »
I've been using this Venorid serum ... Very low cost treatment ...

$50 a jar for "Veno Rid©" [sic]. They don't say what's in the jar , or how big the jar is.

Either they haven't paid a few hundred dollars to register their brand-name as a trademark,
or don't know the difference between © & ®.

"VenoRid.com" is owned by a Joshua Grasmick. The other websites he owns include ...
"NuHairRX.com" , alleged baldness cure ,  [ could be same stuff in a different jar ].
"MommyReNu.com", alleged stretch-mark removal,  [ could be same stuff in a different jar ].
"myotaut.com" , allegedly shrinks orifices , [ could be same stuff in a different jar ].
& "PsychicPriest.com", & lots more ... http://domainbigdata.com/ni/qlp08Nj55eieK1Kmh902rw

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Patent_Medicine
« Last Edit: 02/10/2016 06:53:12 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #137 on: 02/10/2016 03:25:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums