The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How is "hold luggage" in planes security assessed?  (Read 4861 times)

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Doubtless, there is a thread about this somewhere, but my quick search didn't turn anything up.

What are the security measures in place for luggage that goes into the hold? Why is it that there is a great deal of fuss and bother about hand luggage (which is fine) but I've never seen anyone being pulled off a plane to answer questions about what has been found in their hold luggage, which potentially could lead one to think that there isn't much security at all.

???

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How is "hold luggage" in planes security assessed?
« Reply #1 on: 19/12/2008 19:21:01 »
Usually the have security there to keep the staff from rummaging through the luggage stealing from passengers.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2009 14:22:22 »
Thanks JimBob. But is that it? So, pretty much all security measures in place at the airport are for in-flight non-hold security only? Why is it that we don't hear about suspect hold baggage that may look as though it carries some sort of device for example, and that has been removed from the plane, and where the passenger has been detained? Or do security just assume that anyone flying on the plane is unlikely to want to blow themselves up as well (something that we know is not true). Is there really only minimal security for hold luggage, if any?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2009 16:00:23 »
I just bought a new piece of luggage and next to the lock I use to secure my belongings is a key-hole for the US Transportation Security Agency people to open the luggage. I dod a little research and found that the TSA has a key for every type of luggage at each airport and have been randomly searching luggage all along. They also use "sniffer" dogs for both drugs and explosives. It seems they have been going though my underwear and personal belongings all along but decided to make it easier for them (and thus every crook in the world who has a key-copier) to get into my luggage. There is nothing thaat is safe if someone wants to take it, it seems.

Offline justaskin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/01/2009 01:33:04 »
I have not worked at an airport in years now but I would think that somewhere down in the bowels of the terminal they would have some scanning machines just like for hand luggage.
One of the things I do know they used to do was if someone checked baggage into the hold and then didn't board the aircraft that baggage was pulled off the flight.People used to use it as a way to have a couple of last drinks figuring that the aircraft would not leave until they boarded but the airlines cottoned on pretty fast and if you didn't show by the time the flight was closed you and all your baggage were thrown off the flight.
Are you flying somewhere soon.
Just keep an eye out for people with a dark complexion  and a beard  ;D

Cheers
justaskin

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2009 00:28:38 »
the flight was closed you and all your baggage were thrown off the flight.

or worse, they put your bags on a flight to (where ever)

All bags are scanned and checked with sniffers.. some destinations more than others I suspect.

You can lock up your bag with locks and wire mesh and plastic ties to your hearts content.. if they want to get in they will cut things they cannot get past. (well, they do here in Australia..)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2009 00:28:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums