The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the Woolies closing down sale a stunt?  (Read 9280 times)

blakestyger

Is the Woolies closing down sale a stunt?
« Reply #25 on: 31/12/2008 18:34:31 »
The Woolworth's that I remember as a youth disappeared when they went over to selling cheap, gaudy pre-packed stuff, videos, and crappy stationery. In the '50s and '60s they had big, deep counters full of stuff that was loose and piled high. A source of great amusement was to set the mousetraps on the top of the heap and wait for someone to mindlessly run their hand over them - who can resist doing that to heaps of stuff?
I feel for those who have lost jobs from the closure but the store became superfluous long ago - too many others were doing the same thing. Som eof the ethos of the early Woolies is can be found in Wilkinson's if you are fortunate to have one near you.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01/01/2009 12:01:10 »
Went to Woolies for the last time the other day. Murray got an office chair from the cafe office for 10 and Fred bought a shopping basket as a souvineer. There was nothing left in the pick and nick so we took a bag with no sweeties in it instead. One small boy asked his Mum if it was OK to nick stuff as the shop had that feel about it. 

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01/01/2009 23:51:29 »
source of great amusement was to set the mousetraps on the top of the heap and wait for someone to mindlessly run their hand over them - who can resist doing that to heaps of stuff?

Well, I think I see the reason why they switched to cheap, gaudy pre-packed stuff.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 01/01/2009 23:51:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums