The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do emotions equate to instinct?  (Read 52472 times)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Do emotions equate to instinct?
« Reply #75 on: 22/01/2009 21:08:29 »
So you think there might be another spanner in the works, well, we'll see how it goes. *sigh*

Offline alansm

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 05/02/2009 18:07:39 »
An article from Cornell University suggests that as we grow old and loose our cognitive ability that we can function on our emotions or gut feelings.

newbielink:http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Jan09/Sr.decisions.sl.ar.html [nonactive]

I believe that this indicates that feelings are programmed throughout our lives, whereas we are pre-programmed or born with instincts.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 05/02/2009 22:09:11 »
Interesting article, thanks alansm. :)

Offline GregBucket

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 06/02/2009 15:26:21 »
I'm glad I finally made time to check back in!  I haven't taken the time to read the article, but it looks like the sort of thing I was hoping for when I first asked the question.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 11/04/2009 15:17:40 »
So my take would be that we start with instincts as babies, but very soon we will be able to reason. Even before we have words we use reason, as tests done with babies and 'gravity' shows. They just took some magnets, or something alike, on to a big board, one in front and one at the back, if I now remember rightly. Then they moved the magnets the correct way for 'gravity' to show, while measuring the eye movements of the babies. Next time they changed the trajectory to something not following 'gravity', and the babies eyes still moved the way they expected the 'thing' to fall according to 'gravity'. This can be seen as a 'instinct', but my and the experimentalists guess was that its a basic form of logic reasoning, coming forward at a early age.

There must be things like instincts but how they come to be I don't know, but emotions grows of growing up, some people f ex, have an inability in putting themselves in another persons shoes, so to speak, just like young kids have in the sandbox. Emotions its a part of us that evolves with understanding and being able to relate ourselves to others and situations, It's a changeable part of our human behavior, whilst instincts seem to so be much deeper embedded. in our so called 'reptile brain' perhaps?

It would be very interesting knowing what mechanism it is that may transfer instincts in us and all animals. And yes, I believe that animals, just as those babies have a logic of their own, as well as the same emotions as we present. That we don't want to look at them that way is a result of us using theme as thoughtless commodity, slaughtered for our needs. If you look at 'primitive' hunters they often had, and perhaps still have, a great respect for those animals life, having rituals explaining how their needs had to go before the animals. We don't have that anymore, we lost that contact with the life force surrounding us, and I do see that as a loss.

Offline havy_havy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 06/05/2009 15:22:42 »
thank you very much

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 07/05/2009 05:28:25 »
You are welcome.