The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tea Treats Bad Breath !  (Read 20869 times)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Treats Bad Breath !
« Reply #25 on: 12/09/2003 01:15:41 »
Try using stevia (made from a leaf) if you want a sweetener.  You can get it in health food stores or in Canada we can get it in the pharmacy section of grocery stores.

I haven't done any research on stevia.  Does anyone know if it affects your blood sugar or creates acidity in your body like sugar does?

Offline Farhad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16/09/2003 17:58:27 »
Hey It is an amazing news for me. I had nearly stopped taking tea. I thought it is not good for brain but if it is good for stopping the bacterial growth in the mouth, then I am gonna start taking tea regularly.

Life is too short to make enemies, so make friends.

Offline visitor10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02/10/2003 15:07:15 »
Stevia Extract is great in hot tea. I use the brand "Sween'n Natural" Super Stevia extract. Paid $16.00  in USA for 10oz. container that shakes it in your cup and seems alot like confectioners sugar. Can only use a teeny bit and it is sweet enough. Too much tastes like too much. It has no chemicals, no Aspartame and no Saccharin and no calories in it. There is not a thing i can find on the web about any harmful side effects on research. All that I find is that Japan and other countries have been using it for 20 plus years, and it had not caused problems with them. The only thing I found is some people  don't like it in cold drinks. They say it works well in hot drinks and in small amounts.  I am drinking it now, and mostly every day, it tastes great, and no bad breath for me! yeahy yeahy!!:)

Forever Young

Offline visitor10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02/10/2003 15:08:02 »
Stevia Extract is great in hot tea. I use the brand "Sween'n Natural" Super Stevia extract. Paid $16.00  in USA for 10oz. container that shakes it in your cup and seems alot like confectioners sugar. Can only use a teeny bit and it is sweet enough. Too much tastes like too much. It has no chemicals, no Aspartame and no Saccharin and no calories in it. There is not a thing i can find on the web about any harmful side effects on research. All that I find is that Japan and other countries have been using it for 20 plus years, and it had not caused problems with them. The only thing I found is some people  don't like it in cold drinks. They say it works well in hot drinks and in small amounts.  I am drinking it now, and mostly every day, it tastes great, and no bad breath for me! yeahy yeahy!!:)

Forever Young

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03/10/2003 01:39:50 »
28g of stevia costs $10 CDN in Calgary.  It's delicious in green tea.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2003 01:40:45 by Donnah »

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03/10/2003 09:58:59 »
geez, ten dollars for 28 grams? What a waste! If you don't like brushing your teeth then go for it I guess! I'd say just don't eat snacks and brush your teeth after each time you eat something (three times a day -if- you don't eat snacks) if your breath is that bad.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03/10/2003 20:27:51 »
It sounds expensive but it's really not.  Stevia is much stronger than sugar so you only need a tiny pinch in a hot drink to equal a teaspoon of sugar.  Then there's the dental and health benefits.

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04/10/2003 10:12:48 »
Well if it suits you then use it I guess, but I think it's easier to brush your teeth rather than changing your diet so you don't have to.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04/10/2003 20:23:02 »
lol...Stevia does not negate the need to brush and floss:D, it's just a lovely alternative like honey or maple syrup.  I've heard that it doesn't "whiplash" your blood sugar levels, though I'd like something more solid than heresay on that issue.  Maybe Visitor10 has come across some information...

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #34 on: 28/10/2003 23:25:57 »
I found a link to a show we did a year or so ago about remedies for bad breath. It made for some amused listening :

Here's the link. The text version is at the bottom of the page (click " full length text" at the top right) or the audio version is the third block of audio down the page from the top.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/shows/2002.06.23.htm

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline bloodshed

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13/09/2004 04:32:10 »
yea i had the same problem as kaine, its like i tried every trick in the book , thearabreath and everything, but its just some mucous drainage most probably from my back of my nose, i even got surgery to straigthen my septum and my problem presists, my saliva smells bad and there is no good reason for this mucous drainage because my nose functions absolutely fine

azah

Offline maria

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23/04/2005 22:49:46 »
If your breath smells, you are stone out of luck! It's a part of you and hard to get rid of. Believe me I know all to well. I just live my life as a hermit. I've prayed about it since I came from the factory like this but prayer hasn't changed my bad breath so I'm not going to continue in my search for a breath cure, wasting hundreds, yes hundreds of dollars. If this is the way God wanted me to be then fine. When I face judgement day i will be sure to ask why I couldn't get any divine help on the matter.
quote:
Originally posted by NakedScientist

DOG BREATH SUFFERERS - HERE'S THE REMEDY

Compounds found in tea can stop the growth of bacteria that cause bad breath, according to researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Polyphenols, chemical components of tea, prevent both the growth of bacteria responsible for bad breath and the bacteria's production of malodorous compounds, the UIC researchers found. The findings were presented today at the annual meeting of the American Society for Microbiology in Washington, D.C. by Christine Wu, professor of periodontics and associate dean for research at the UIC College of Dentistry, and research associate Min Zhu.

Bad breath -- or halitosis -- afflicts a large portion of the population. It is caused by foul-smelling volatile sulfur compounds, like hydrogen sulfide, produced by anaerobic bacteria that thrive in environments lacking oxygen, such as the back of the tongue and deep gum pockets.

In the laboratory study, Wu and Zhu incubated tea polyphenols with three species of bacteria associated with bad breath for 48 hours.

At concentrations ranging from 16 to 250 micrograms per milliliter, the polyphenols inhibited growth of the oral bacteria.

At even lower concentrations -- from 2.5 to 25 micrograms per milliliter -- the polyphenols hindered the enzyme that catalyzes the formation of hydrogen sulfide, cutting its production by 30 percent.

Wu said the present study complements earlier research in her laboratory showing that black tea suppresses the growth of bacteria in dental plaque and that rinsing with black tea reduces plaque formation and the production of acids that cause tooth decay.

"Besides inhibiting the growth of pathogens in the mouth, black tea and its polyphenols may benefit human oral health by suppressing the bad-smelling compounds that these pathogens produce," Wu said.

The polyphenols found in tea include chemicals called catechins and theaflavins. Catechins are found in both green and black teas, while theaflavins are found predominantly in black tea.

Black tea, an aqueous infusion of dried leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, is the most popular beverage worldwide, second only to water. Per capita consumption averages four fluid ounces per day.

Offline maria

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23/04/2005 22:51:30 »
It is unfortunate that people were naturally born with bad breath genes but nothing seems to help it. Prayer, mints, mouthwashes, nothing! I've adjusted to just living as a hermit.

ma

Offline sdella

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18/01/2006 11:02:46 »
Hi there!
Just wanna know if and how the person who posted this has solved this problem after such a long time.

Thanks

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #38 on: 18/01/2006 11:02:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums