The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will the Digital Age Destroy Creativity?  (Read 6737 times)

Offline coberst

• View Profile
Will the Digital Age Destroy Creativity?
« on: 31/12/2008 13:32:47 »

Solitude makes it possible for us to gain access to our most inner reality. Through solitude we find the ability to sort out the structure of our thoughts, to gain access to the meaning of our ideas and attitudes. Solitude provides access to our imagination.

Imagination and reason are the aspects of the embodied mind, which, in levels of sophistication, sets our species off from our nearest non-human species. It is imagination that provides man with the flexibility to adjust to a changing environment but it is imagination that also robs man of contentment.

Our non-human ancestors are guided by instinct alone. Instinct is the impulse that determines the behavior in a pre-programmed response. But our species has added to this survival response system a high level of imagination, which allows us to fit into a changing environment for survival. Reason and imagination determines the destiny of the species. Discontentment, bred by imagination, motivates man to seek a different way; reason facilitates the change by offering the options for change. The discontent of imagination is the catalyst for adaptation.

The product of imagination can become either reality or fantasy. Fantasy can provide an escape from reality or, as is evident in our accomplishments of science and the arts, it provides the ingredients for new ideas, which like the theories of Newton and Einstein establish the paradigms for technology.

Freud wrote, in his paper Creative Writers and Day-Dreaming, “We may lay it down that a happy person never phantasies, only an unsatisfied one. The motive forces of phantasies are unsatisfied wishes, and every single phantasy is the fulfillment of a wish, a correction of an unsatisfied reality.”  Critical Thinking, i.e. evaluative thinking not negative thinking, makes a correction of an unsatisfactory reality possible.

Freud considered fantasy was an escapist practice, a turning away from reality rather than a confrontation with reality in attempted change. He considered fantasy as a derivative of play; the child, in growing older, turned from fantasy focused upon an object to castles in the air. Freud theorized that the pleasure principle was replaced by the reality principle.

Present day psychology considers that fantasy is part of our biological endowment and that the discrepancy between our inner world and our outer world compels man to become inventive thereby leading to an active imagination. Imagination is the attempt to bridge the inner world and the outer world of man.  Imagination is the engine of play.

Goya wrote “Phantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters; united with her, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of their marvels.”

Do you often seek solitude? 

In our Digital Age is solitude possible for young people? 

Will the Digital Age destroy solitude and thus inhibit imagination and thus creativity?

Offline rickard

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31/12/2008 15:13:51 »
No, the digital age will not destroy creativity.

On the contrary, "creativity" has never been as accessible as it is now. Digital media not only gives anyone with access to a computer, access to the tools, but also access to the information about how to use those tools (ie the internet).

I'd agree creativity comes from within, and probably the amount of "inner creativity" is constant compared to before, but the options to people seeking an outlet for their creativity are so much more today, than before the "digital age".

Blogs, youtube and the whole "web 2.0" hype, i think are prime examples of not only people wanting to connect to others, and expose themselves, but also people wanting to be create and share their creativity, proving that solitude is not a necessity for creativity and imagination. Maybe it's even the other way around?

I am myself a child of the digital age, and i am a good example of how new types of media allows current generations to find new ways to express their creativity. I don't know what will come out of the future, or what new media will arise, but i'm looking forward to it.

Regards,
Rickard

Offline coberst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/12/2008 20:15:45 »

The hand held electronic gadgets and the Internet have created the means for constant interaction between one another thereby diminishing any time for adult contact or interaction with the world via newspapers and books.

“Mark Bauerlein, a professor of English at Emory University, compiled his frustration at young Netizens in his recent book The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future.”

“Bauerlein, 49, says younger generations don’t spend enough time learning about the world at large, writing: “They are latter-day Rip Van Winkles, sleeping through the movements of culture and events of history, preferring the company of peers to great books and powerful ideas and momentous happenings.”

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/257487

Offline rickard

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/01/2009 02:24:41 »
To be honest, it seems that reply was prepared without regard to whatever would be replied to the initial post.

Having worked in numerous projects, i have to say that _excess_ of communication has never been a problem in those projects, and i don't think it ever will. (I could rant on about _lack_ of communication in project based environments, but that's not the subject here)

"Mark Bauerlein" should consider what those people of the "younger generations" would be doing if they didn't have the internet. They wouldn't necessarily be reading Goethe, or study Van Gogh's art style. What would the same individuals have been doing had they lived a hundred years ago? Deeper culture or creativity has never been for everyone, but i reiterate my statement that it has never been as accessible as it is now.

Happy new year everyone,
Rickard

Offline AB Hammer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2009 04:32:17 »

Yes and no. It will be easier for many people who have limited or no talent to do things that only the truly talented could do before. So it will hurt the need for the talented people. There for originality and inventiveness will be hurt as well. [:-'(] [:-'(]

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2009 16:05:08 »
I think creative people will always find creative ways to be creative.

lyner

« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2009 17:38:50 »
The Digital Age has, unfortunately for many, meant the end of rigour and application to many tasks. Yes, everyone can play at assembling sounds, pictures and words and to produce low grade stuff - this has even less  worth than when young ladies laboured to produce embroidered 'samplers' and spent hours and hours until they could just about play the piano.

Luckily, the really talented people get beyond the limitations of any medium and will always produce great stuff.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/02/2009 03:07:03 »
Or the digital world give us all an opportunity to 'test our wings' and exchange ideas?
If it was allowed:)

Offline Dr Guz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/04/2009 12:20:22 »
Which creativity ?.....Digital creativity=No it will not.

However I am of the opinion there should be a delicate balance between the digital world and the real world it's running on in the 1st place.

At the moment, and time is running out, the digital world is running on the scientific wave and wealth that was created in the 40ties to 80ties of years.
The digital world has taken over to a large extend since the 80ties, and exploded in a logaritmic way forward.

The question is how long can the real world carry the effects of the digital world has on it into the future.

Basic creativities like food production etc run the risk of becoming extinct, maybe leaving us with a crises looming.

I maybe incorrect here, but feel an IT crunch is looming, or at least a serious correction in the digital world.Programmers should program for effeciency and not to explore creativity alone leaving companies strapped to the feet with combersome software packages.

Another factor is human eystrain into the furure...How will our eyes evolve ?

Offline techmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30/04/2009 18:24:17 »
I think creative people will always find creative ways to be creative.

This is correct. Now in the digital age creative have the works of every other creative person to build upon and improve. This process is the same process that science is based on. Building on the work of others. Not only is the digital age not killing creativity it will bring about the most creative time ever seen.

That is if copyrights and patents don't get in the way.  ;)

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/2009 16:26:24 »
Play with this for a while then tell me that the digital era is bad for creativity.
http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix
Not only is it a creative toy, the idea could only have come about (and certainly I could only have found it) in the digital age.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 01/05/2009 16:26:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length