The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do correspondents send misspelled posts when there is a built in spell check  (Read 5613 times)

Online syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do correspondents send misspelled posts when there is a built in spell checker?
Do they not realise it exists or is it from a feeling that their knowledge of spelling is such that they don't need it?
This is the only forum on which I correspond that has a spell checker and I 'bless' it.
« Last Edit: 01/01/2009 11:20:02 by syhprum »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Its all these text messaging and whatever else, but sometimes I think people just get too excited when they get an idea and want to tell the world about it immediately... :)

What do you think?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The spellchecker is a "pop-up" which can be blocked by some browsers.
(BTW The spellchecker on this forum is intermittently faulty).
« Last Edit: 01/01/2009 16:19:51 by RD »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
I have never noticed the forum spellchecker (maybe because I have pop-ups and all sorts of ActiveX stuff blocked), nor have I looked for it.
I work on the basis that my spelling is pretty good (thank my mum) - although typos can always happen. In previous experience, spell-checkers seem to get stuck on all kinds of technical words - and don't get me started on the auto-"correct" features of MS Word...  ;-)
I also assume that the occasional mistake or typo in a forum is acceptable - it's not the same league as a formal essay or document for a business client/customer.

(clickety clickety) ...silicon substrate...
Popup:"Did you mean silicone?"
No, I didn't!
« Last Edit: 01/01/2009 20:10:58 by techmind »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
and don't get me started on the auto-"correct" features of MS Word...  ;-)

(clickety clickety) ...silicon substrate...
Popup:"Did you mean silicone?"
No, I didn't!

AutoCorrect and spelling suggestions in MS word can be turned off :
click on the "tools" menu, then click on "AutoCorrect" then uncheck the autocorrect and/or "suggestions" tick boxes.
« Last Edit: 01/01/2009 23:03:31 by RD »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
I like the odd typo. It makes the sender more human in this virtual world of forum land. I quite often post late at night when the kids are in bed. I'm often too tired to care by that time. I do a lot of correspondence in my job so not being just so is nice sometimes.

paul.fr

Surely you can only use your spell checker if you know the difference between the meaning of words, there and their, for example. We also have to remember that this is an informal exchange of idea's and comments, and as such correct spelling and grammar is not (always) necessary.

It is also easier to spot mistakes made by others, than the ones you make. Take for example, the pedants on the forum. They call themselves FOG's, and spend their time correcting eachother! So even the most dedicated pedant will get things wrong, leaving the rest of us to make many a mistake.

paul.fr

And another thing. The forum spell checker has a rather annoying habit of wanting to insert a hyphen in to words.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums