The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does light hit a runner at the same speed in front and behind?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline relativitee

• First timers
    • View Profile
My friend runs through my lab with photons catching him from behind, and flying against his face in front.  These are photons emitted in my frame.  To me it looks like the photons from the rear would arrive on my friend slower than the photons from the front, since the photons in my frame are traveling at c in both directions.  But my friend says that both streams of photons arive to him at speed c!  I try to explain this.  My friend seems to be shrunken in the direction of travel and his legs are running in slow motion, even though he is a very fast runner.  I tell him that his short units of space and long units of time, as I see them, doesn't help me explain his apparent confusion regarding the speed of light.  His short units and slow time, in my view, could make the slow light from the rear appear faster to him, perhaps even the correct speed, but they also make the fast light from the front appear even faster.  The fast light from the front must be made to appear slower, not faster, in order to look like it's going speed c, to him.  So if his different length and time rate cannot explain the equality of light speed, what does? 
« Last Edit: 09/01/2009 11:57:40 by BenV »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
That sounds suspicious?
Why are the photons hunting him?
Are you sure he is innocent.

Why you see those forward coming waves as being more exited must be that they try to stop him.
And those coming from behind must be naturally tired after having to run that long.

And he denies it all, huh.
Doesn't surprise me.

typical self-denial.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Quote from: relativitee
The fast light from the front must be made to appear slower, not faster, in order to look like it's going speed c, to him.  So if his different length and time rate cannot explain the equality of light speed, what does?
I think that according to the Lorentz  version of relativity phenomena, his different length and time rate do explain it all.
« Last Edit: 13/01/2009 20:47:19 by Vern »

Offline relativitee

• First timers
    • View Profile
Ask Stephan Hawkings!

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Vern are you thinking of how far he would be when running?
Food for thoughts here:)

But yes, I've heard that Lorentz do have his own theory about it.
But at a fast 'runthrough' I find mine idea more sporting though::))

--

Btw: I'm proud to inform that it also gives a new angle to the idea 'tired light'..

« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 00:12:41 by yor_on »

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Btw: I'm proud to inform that it also gives a new angle to the idea 'tired light'..
I have to paste that in my note book :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums