The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Can I See My Breath On A Cold Day But Not A Warmed Up Cars Exhaust Fumes ?  (Read 6381 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Darlings,

As ewe can well imagine, girlies, boisies, even plantsys get all hot and bothered around me.
As a sheepy I am of course naturally filled with ebullient charisma, a veritable hot spring oasis of attractive wantonness !

Look, here's a car exhaust getting all excited because it just drove past me !

Seeing this car getting all "Exhausted" reminded me a question I need answering !

That car, also bellows its stuff when it's cold yes ?...even when it's freezing cold outside it makes steamy stuff  yes ?

But, when the car warms up , despite it being so cold out, the steamy stuff disappears !!..this does not happen when ewe and me are out in the cold and our breath is visible ...see ?

Some Bloke Inside A very Cold House

Now why does that happen ?

Why does steamy breath make steam but not a cars exhaust when the atmosphere is cold ?

ewe see, I really do not know !...I want to know !

Please let me know !

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah mwah

neil
Bothered About Seeing My Breath On A Cold Day
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Correct me if  I am wrong but unlike your car exhaust, your mouth continues to be filled with moisture.... and a hot car has burned off all the condensation which had built up in the exhaust system so the moisture is gone and no moisture then no steam...right?  but your mouth continually produces moisture if your lucky anyway and thus you are a steaming hot machine and thus will always..produce!!!
« Last Edit: 02/01/2009 03:36:13 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I would correct ewe if ewe were wrong, but when I last checked ...it was me who asked the question !..hmmm....let me check again !! ....YEP !..it's definitely me who wants to know  !!  ;D ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Well....then.. thats my humble opinion.....LOL..

Not being very bright here, I stand to be corrected by a knowledgeable scientific....person who can base their theory on iron clad scientific data!..LOL....
« Last Edit: 02/01/2009 12:47:57 by Karen W. »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I think KarenW is correct - the steam in the car exhaust comes from water that has condensed in the exhaust system, and which is evaporated by the hot exhaust fumes passing through the exhaust system when the engine is started.  The steam stops once all the water has been evaporated or when the outside temperature rises too high to condense the evaporated water back in to droplets.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums