The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is Wearing Red The Most Attractive ?  (Read 11013 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Is Wearing Red The Most Attractive ?
« on: 01/01/2009 21:02:15 »
Dearest Sweeties Of 2009 Happy New Year Niceties,

As a Sheepy, I am of course very attractive to all.....what ever colour I dye my wool I am besieged !!

However, a recent study demonstrated that men would rather spend more time (and money) on a date if the girly (or boisy) wore red !

look, here are two lasses.

A GREENY GIRLY !

A REDDY GIRLY !

Nice eh ?...being delivered next Tuesday.

I likey the greeny one but I likey more the red one (even though she has half a head !)..but setting aside the scenarios in the piccys above...why is it that red is (Generically)  more attractive than any other colour worn....why's that then ?
As a firm believer in empirical study I trudged over to my neighbours house at 4am this morning with a sheepy chum. I covered myself in ketchup and my sheepy chum was covered in humus !...despite constant goading with a stick and behaviour that would see us more apt to being part of a pole-dance troupe, he failed to show any affectation towards us. We dwell-ed on this for 5 hours and decided that chaining him to his bed and gagging him did not affect his decision process ! Hurrumpth !!..he didn'tt even co-operate by remaining conscious !!  :(

So, here I am asking ewe

Why is wearing Red the most attractive colour ? (US Translation service: "Colour" = "Color"..sheesh !!)

Thanking ewe for your kind consideration.

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Ketchup Stained But Nice With Chips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 01/01/2009 21:04:05 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01/01/2009 21:24:38 »
I wonder if its not just simply a male thing? I of course am wondering if this is related to the attraction to  Red that stirs up bulls also.... maybe because of its intensity.. It fires up.... hormonal changes.. ie anger, passion, lust...ect...

Perhaps redconjure up energy... spunk....vigor...etc...playful fun....boldness.. agressiveness... lack of inhibitions eh?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/01/2009 22:18:16 »
Red is thecolour of arousal. When ladies naughty bits are turned on they go redder. I'm not sure if this is true but I was told that our lips go redder after kissing. So if you put red lipstick on and wear red underwear you are basically holding up a banner saying I'm ready for it.
I'm going for a cold shower now as I feel a little.....damp.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/01/2009 23:46:14 »
Red that stirs up bulls

"red-makes-bulls-angry" is a load of bullocks  :),   cattle are colour blind ...

A common misconception about cattle (particularly bulls) is that they are enraged by the color red (something provocative is often said to be "like a red rag to a bull"). This is incorrect, as cattle are red-green color-blind. The myth arose from the use of red capes in the sport of bullfighting; in fact, two different capes are used. The capote is a large, flowing cape that is magenta and yellow. The more famous muleta is the smaller, red cape, used exclusively for the final, fatal segment of the fight. It is not the color of the cape that angers the bull*, but rather the movement of the fabric that irritates the bull and incites it to charge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

* The fact that the bull has been repeatedly lanced by that stage probably makes it a bit irascible too.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2009 00:10:55 by RD »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2009 03:33:27 »
Yes it is a misconception.. but one that always springs to mind with the theory that red provokes hostility in people,Its also noted as one of the power colors for dressing etc.. I understand that certain colors provoke different feelings and moods according to some things I have read!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2009 03:45:47 »
Red is quite a common colour in advertising. It's said to stimulate appetite..

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2009 03:50:18 »
Red plays tricks with your eyes... [B)]

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2009 04:10:26 »
Because of an optical phenomenon called chromatic abberation the red area appears closer to the viewer than the blue area

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/01/2009 04:16:08 »
So everyone sees the red closer than the blue? Not just some people...

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/01/2009 04:32:58 »
Chromatic abberation = the focal length of a lens is dependent on the colour of the light.

So the human eye adjusts its focus slightly when moving back and forth from the red and blue areas, this adjustment is misinterpreted by the brain that the red and blue areas are at different distances, when they are actually in the same plane.

So this illusion will be the same for everyone: i.e. red will always appear closer than blue,
( IIRC this illusion is more effective for those who have astigmatism).
« Last Edit: 02/01/2009 04:38:00 by RD »

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/01/2009 11:00:31 »
Well, I've always liked green:)
Maybe we can make a 'split' here?

Anyway I got the answer...
why I like trees?
Or was it leafs???

Awh anyway, it has to do with autumn.
Don't it
http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050187&ct=1
Btw: What is an aphid?

Sounds kind of exotic doesn't it.
!I meet my beautiful aphid in a far away land, and when she smiled at me I just knew it was meant to be.'
I wonder???

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/01/2009 11:16:43 »
Also, red is the colour of blood and of fire, so I assume it makes your blood heat...  :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/01/2009 12:01:34 »
I wonder if its not just simply a male thing? I of course am wondering if this is related to the attraction to  Red that stirs up bulls also.... maybe because of its intensity.. It fires up.... hormonal changes.. ie anger, passion, lust...ect...

Perhaps redconjure up energy... spunk....vigor...etc...playful fun....boldness.. agressiveness... lack of inhibitions eh?

As far as I understand it, ewe are right that this is specifically a male thang ! LOL...ewe said "spunk" !..*sheepy giggles like a norty schoolboy*

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02/01/2009 12:06:57 »
Red is thecolour of arousal. When ladies naughty bits are turned on they go redder. I'm not sure if this is true but I was told that our lips go redder after kissing. So if you put red lipstick on and wear red underwear you are basically holding up a banner saying I'm ready for it.
I'm going for a cold shower now as I feel a little.....damp.

Hello Makeitlady !

Do ewe put lipstick on your norty bits ?.....and are you an expert on damp-proofing ?

Could ewe come round and give me a quote as I too have felt some damp !  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02/01/2009 12:11:11 »
Red is quite a common colour in advertising. It's said to stimulate appetite..

Thanks Jna,

This must be why Tomatoes and Berries are very klevur, they just love being consumed by us...and ketchup !

Seriously though, I am sure ewe are right that 'Red' in particular has certain qualities that separate it from others..I wonder if thi stems back to the colour of blood ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02/01/2009 12:12:17 »
Red plays tricks with your eyes... [B)]

If I poke my neighbours eye, it turns red !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02/01/2009 12:24:21 »
Because of an optical phenomenon called chromatic abberation the red area appears closer to the viewer than the blue area

Actually when I look at it it looks like the blue is closer to the front and the red looks like the end of a tunnel way back of a cylinder! I do however have astigmatisms.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02/01/2009 12:26:18 »
Chromatic abberation = the focal length of a lens is dependent on the colour of the light.

So the human eye adjusts its focus slightly when moving back and forth from the red and blue areas, this adjustment is misinterpreted by the brain that the red and blue areas are at different distances, when they are actually in the same plane.

So this illusion will be the same for everyone: i.e. red will always appear closer than blue,
( IIRC this illusion is more effective for those who have astigmatism).
Why do I see it the opposite of what you do???

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02/01/2009 12:30:15 »

Perhaps red conjure up energy... spunk....vigor...etc...playful fun....boldness.. aggressiveness... lack of inhibitions eh?

As far as I understand it, ewe are right that this is specifically a male thang ! LOL...ewe said "spunk" !..*sheepy giggles like a norty schoolboy*

LOL.. LOL.. Yes indeed I did!! That is funny as I never new until some KIND person informed me of the other meaning behind that word!!!! LOL...

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02/01/2009 13:22:08 »
I had to inform an American lady that the use of that word in her user name was not a good idea.   She had no idea what it meant in Britain.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02/01/2009 16:55:35 »
This should get rid of the "tunnel" effect...

« Last Edit: 02/01/2009 17:00:47 by RD »

lyner

« Reply #21 on: 02/01/2009 17:28:54 »
I heard on TV recently an idea that the red wattles on birds and the red arse end of several primates are thought to denote 'lots of blood therefore healthy with lots of spare energy to survive' - hence your offspring will survive and you are a good prospective mate.

But the red girl has bare shoulders and the green girl doesn't so red looks more available!
A chap can fantasise, can't he?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02/01/2009 17:44:44 »
I had to inform an American lady that the use of that word in her user name was not a good idea.   She had no idea what it meant in Britain.

Uhm....what does it mean in Britain? :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02/01/2009 18:04:00 »
This should get rid of the "tunnel" effect...

Now it looks like a large blue square wth a smaller red circle on the top of it! less tunnel effect when you changed from the large blue circle to the large blue square.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02/01/2009 18:42:35 »
Now it looks like a large blue square wth a smaller red circle on the top of it!

That's the illusion: the red appears nearer than the blue, when they are actually both at the same distance from the viewer. 
« Last Edit: 02/01/2009 18:45:31 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 02/01/2009 18:42:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length