The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is Wearing Red The Most Attractive ?  (Read 11028 times)

lyner

Why Is Wearing Red The Most Attractive ?
« Reply #25 on: 02/01/2009 22:22:31 »
Three conversations on one thread. Novel.
I suppose this makes it four.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02/01/2009 22:39:21 »
Sorry the illusion isn't working for me. I'm rubbish at optical illusions and I still haven't lost my top frequency detection from my hearing. This means that naughty school boys can't get away with setting off the trick high pitched ring tone when I'm about.
RD do you have to stare at anything in particular to get the effect?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02/01/2009 22:40:42 »
Spunk is male eggs. I'm being very polite today.

lyner

« Reply #28 on: 02/01/2009 23:59:44 »
RD do you have to stare at anything in particular to get the effect?
When I stare at either green or red girl I get a slight effect.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03/01/2009 00:19:05 »
Spunk is male eggs. I'm being very polite today.

man juice!  [:I]

is that too much?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03/01/2009 00:48:03 »
Here is a better illustration of advancing red ...

The tendency of warm hues to appear to advance and cool hues to recede has been given a simple and accurate explanation in terms of the physical phenomenon of differential refraction (Luke, 2001). This phenomenon causes the light rays from a red object to focus further from the lens of the eye than the light from an equidistant blue object, at a point where light rays from a slightly closer object would focus. Though not our primary means of depth perception, this effect can give a strong impression that the red object is closer, particularly if it is not contradicted by other sources of depth information

Figure 7-19. Demonstration of advancing and receding colours. Notice that it is not the colour with the greatest brightness (green) that seems to advance most, as has sometimes been asserted, but the one associated with the longest wavelength (red)
http://www.huevaluechroma.com/077.php

« Last Edit: 03/01/2009 00:49:37 by RD »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03/01/2009 00:56:54 »
the word Spunk.. to mean male ejaculate comes with the qualification 'vulgar slang' (but just for you Brits apparently)

lyner

« Reply #32 on: 03/01/2009 21:04:15 »
I have difficulty  with the simple chromatic aberration idea. I could agree if there were an actual pattern to focus on but the coloured areas are plane. The only edge (high spatial frequency) on which to focus is between the two colours. The boundary would be the only bit to give distance informaton.
I think there must be more complex explanation - I think the brain would 'double bluff' and pre-correct for the expected effect of CA.

Working it through, the red would be refracted less than the green so a red image on the retina would be behind the green image - implying to the brain that a red object is nearer than the green one. The brain would learn about this and should compensate, when there is no extra information, and would infer that the red must, in fact, be further away.

I think this must imply there is more to it. . . .

blakestyger

« Reply #33 on: 03/01/2009 22:04:52 »
In my young day, spunk meant something quite different - it meant pluck, spirit or mettle. Such as in "I say, Carruthers showed enormous spunk today on the Fives court today, don'tcha think?"

It was only when those of the lower orders prone to onanism got hold of it that it was used to refer to the other thing. In any right-minded sexual contact ejaculate would not be seen. [^]
« Last Edit: 03/01/2009 22:09:56 by blakestyger »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03/01/2009 22:53:17 »
In the saccade from red to blue areas, the lens of the eye increases its focal length slightly because blue light is more easily refracted than red...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispersion_(optics)   

This increase in focal length, (produced by muscles decreasing the curvature of the lens), is also what occurs if an object is further away. This change in focal length gives the illusion that blue is further away than red, i.e. red is closer than blue.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2009 23:06:04 by RD »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04/01/2009 02:25:10 »
So if two woman were standing next to each other, one wearing red and the other blue, the red one would appear closer to us :o? Is that why we find wearing red attractive?  [:(!] [V]

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04/01/2009 03:03:54 »
It's no secret that colours affect our mood. Anyone remember the great Pink room experiment.. where schools painted their time out rooms pink to calm the students? 

lyner

« Reply #37 on: 04/01/2009 16:10:06 »
RD
Yes, you are correct about the 'focusing' effect but, for an area with no detail, there is no way of focusing anything. Try it with an autofocus camera on a plane wall. You need edges so that you can maximise detail. Without detail, your eye can't discern distance by focusing. And, in any case, binocular vision gives you a much better estimate of distance between your eye and the screen. That would give the 'correct answer' for any colour.
I think there must be a different reason- possibly based on the fact that green corresponds closest to the luminance signal which is perceived with greater resolution because of the large density of image sensors. This could make red images a bit more blurred than green.

Or it may be something to do with the fact that red objects in nature (flowers, birds, fruit) are smaller than the big areas of green (trees, grass etc.) and they are the 'exceptions' in most views. Our brain is very good at getting the most out of the information it gets but can get things wrong by being 'too smart'.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #37 on: 04/01/2009 16:10:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums